Heads Up - HP Microserver - only £109.99 after cashback until end of the month

ESXi (now vSphere) is the solution. Free for personal use too. It's a bare metal hypervisor so just provides a platform to install other operating systems that can run simultaneously, as if they were on separate physical hardware.

That way you can have a WIndows server for local network filesharing and media streaming, a linux server for apache to run a wordpress site and (say) owncloud to provide cloud storage. Those are just examples, other solutions are possible.

You would still need a licence for Windows when installed onto a hypervisor, just as if you installed it onto a standalone computer.

I run an ESXi server at home, but mines on an R710 server and there's nothing "micro" about that :eek: (it's also noisy with all the fans, and the SAS drives can sound like a flock of angry woodpeckers :naughty:).

Hmmm... Thought I'd go down this route - "ESXi 5.5 requires 4GB of Memory, you currently have 3.84GB" - Gotcha, installation held on to 126 MB so failed it's own test. (or returned a false negative) :(

You sure that's not shared RAM for video?

Every time look on the eBuyer website, the price seems to increase. Despite browsing icognito, and even when using a different public IP.

You sure that's not shared RAM for video?

Every time look on the eBuyer website, the price seems to increase. Despite browsing icognito, and even when using a different public IP.

Yeah, could be.... forgot about that. But without a Graphics card it's still 'lost' to the ESXi installer :(

Picked my up today, have to say it looks great. I've sorted esxi iso that's tailored to the unit as per the leaflet in the box. I've got extra ram on order and some os items to play with.
I hope it rains this weekend so I can stay in and play :)

Picked my up today, have to say it looks great. I've sorted esxi iso that's tailored to the unit as per the leaflet in the box. I've got extra ram on order and some os items to play with.

You mean there's a leaflet in the box? Doh!

You mean there's a leaflet in the box? Doh!

Haha, did you do the male thing of opening up and not looking ;)

I only read it as I could not set it up as I was at the other half's house.
There is a Web address where you can download a tailored copy the Vm stuff.

LoL- usually I read everything (much to my wife's annoyance, she's says I'm not following the stereotype) but I've built a few G7 and G8 boxes so I didn't bother with the paperwork too much.

Have to re-visit every bit paper strewn around the room now! Thanks for the info.

It was in cd sized plastic wrapping. It folds out to a large size. IIrc it was with the plugs.

Sometimes even amazon prime still is not quick enough... Waiting in for ram and storage.

if its amazon logistics ive had stuff arrive at 6pm on a satuday o_O
It is Amazon logistics that nearly every time I have problems with. Very unreliable. Had it twice now getting non delivery on a Sunday. But hey I argued and got two month free prime added to my account.

Can I ask who you bought it from........and sorry if I missed that from an earlier post?

It is Amazon logistics that nearly every time I have problems with. Very unreliable. Had it twice now getting non delivery on a Sunday. But hey I argued and got two month free prime added to my account.

Have to say never had any issues so far with them. If anything they are my preferred logistics company to deal with.
Fingers crossed I don't get an issue today.

Ebuyer.Com
Also hp have a cash back offer too if you order before the month is out
Ah! E buyer seem to have it >£200 but a merchant on Amazon at £155 for what I think said same spec???

Ah! E buyer seem to have it >£200 but a merchant on Amazon at £155 for what I think said same spec???

I did originally order from Amazon but it took to long for them to process my order. I then switched to Ebuyer.Com. Having said that they did send it by yodel. If I'd have known that I would've ordered from another company.

A few things I've learned. Firstly when I've used the provisioning software it did not like the vmsphere hp custom image. The second is the windows provisioning software worked really well... But windows did not recognise 4tb drives only letting me have 2tb.

Frankenserver lives thanks to it's (temporary) replacement MoBo and PSU. £17 well spent.
Ergo, no Microserver for me.

windows will need them set up in GPT (unless its a boot partition).

o_O

Some more reading to do I think.:D

To be honest I'm not 100% sure I'll stay with windows, my next OS to test is Ubuntu server which I've had a bit more experience with.

Well from reading up, Ubuntu does not have the drivers for the raid controller.

From another part of that site (I think it was that site anyway... I've read a lot of different sites) it said it was not compatible :eek:

I've sort of talked myself out of needing it. Tho I guess it might come back. I figured if I can't raid then I could arrange another sort of back up. Maybe to a external USB for any critical data like my back ups of photos.

I've just been looking in to outside access to the server with no-ip. I've heard about them but never used them. My old LG nas used there own version of this.

My next reading well apart from the raid thing os looking up about zone minder to see about ip cameras. But I'm concerned I might be over stretching the system.

Is this still on?
Can someone send a link to the product on ebuyer site?
I looked but I can only see the £155 one and I cannot find anything about the cashback?
Many thanks.

Is this still on?
Can someone send a link to the product on ebuyer site?
I looked but I can only see the £155 one and I cannot find anything about the cashback?
Many thanks.

It's still on.... as long you have proof of purchase prior to 30th September and you have until end of October to make the cashback claim.

Server price has increased a bit.

Cashback link

Don't forget to send off the forms guys :)

I now finally have a optical drive drive power (floppy disk?) to sata cable :)
Time to get the os on a ssd...

Right i've got myself in a bit of a pickle.

I've set up my system with one 120gb ssd in the optical bay, 1tb in the normal bay. 2 arrays set up on for each drive.
I used a usb stick to install VM sphere, HP site download, without using the provisioning set up.

Now when I try to load up the system it flashes the energy star logo then just a blank screen on loadup. none of the bios loading stuff takes place.

Anyone got any sugestions on how to fix it?
I've tried starting with no drives, pulling the battery but these don't have any effect.

So, HP are going to go bust giving back all this money they borrowed for a month?

How's everyone's server going?
I'll be honest due to other things going on i'be had it on a back burner.

However a router has been got for the house to its time to get my ass in to gear again.

Back