Heads Up - HP Microserver - only £109.99 after cashback until end of the month

Edit My Images
No
As a satisfied user of an earlier generation HP Microserver, and knowing that it gets mentioned on here regularly as a back-up solution, I thought I'd point out that HP are offering there occasional cashback deal on the latest 8th Generation model. After cashback it currently retails at only £109.99 from ebuyer.com, (and I imagine similar pricing at other partner websites too). Need to add drives and an OS of choice. For flexibility it knocks a NAS into a cocked hat.

I've had mine for over 2 years now. It is running WHS 2011, but there are free OS available too if you prefer. It backs up all the PCs and laptops in the house overnight, backs itself up to an external drive, not to mention acting as a media server to 3 Logitech Squeexeboxes in a multi-room music system. It has been on 24/7 and not had a single minute of downtime since purchase.

Cashback offer ends at the end of this month. If you are looking for a back-up solution, it's definitely worth considering.

I've not got much idea how these things work - but have been considering a NAS for a while, mainly as additional backup. I thought a NAS did all those things you listed above - how does this differ? Surely a NAS is just a server?

I have an older version of the HP microserver. They are excellent. Only have two drives in there at the moment but has 4 drive bays so very easy to add more storage as you go.

I've got sinology software on mine, so essentially its almost like having a sinology NAS but at a much reduced cost

I've not got much idea how these things work - but have been considering a NAS for a while, mainly as additional backup. I thought a NAS did all those things you listed above - how does this differ? Surely a NAS is just a server?
most NASes are dumb units, essentially just running file sharing. you do have exceptions to that, synology for example have an OS on their units which allows for bolt on apps to allow media streaming etc etc.

a microserver is much more flexible if you want it to be. you could just slap on it one of the NAS specific OS such as FreeNAS or Synologys OS. Or you could run one of Microsofts Server OS and pretty much do whatever you want with it.

a microserver is a very cheap way into multi disk storage. the comparitive synology with 4 bays and a similar horsepower would cost much more.

Last edited:
They are great, I've upped the memory in mine and run VMware esxi. So effectively that little microserver is then split into 5 other servers. I've got three windows servers running on it including sql server and two Linux instances.

Great piece of kit. Although compared to my synology it is noisy and uses more power and generates more heat. For NAS duties I prefer synology, but that is at least 4x more costly.

Have you looked at swapping the fan?

Mines shut away in a (ventilated) cupboard but I don't think its any noisier than my ds1010+ was?
It's in my 19" rack and doesn't bother me, but definitely more noticeable than the DS713/DX513 combination, but hey it is running several other servers and nowhere near as airplane like as a secondhand HP ProLiant server would have been, so I am happy with it.

Sorely tempted.

I'm on the hunt for an Asus P8B-M Mobo for my new backup server. I have the case, PSU and disks waiting. I'd really like hardware that matches the main server. That way I can test OS upgrades on the backup server first.

However, this is tempting.

Anyway, I ran a power meter on my 2 disk syno NAS. Power usage idle was 23 watts. 28 watts under load.
My existing server: 15 watts idle. Typically 26 watts with one set of disks in use. 38 watts with two sets of disks in use. A bit more when streaming media as well.

Ergo, I really don't think that the Microserver will be that power hungry, depending on OS, configuration and disk spin down times etc.

Tempted!

This would be my first venture into adding a microserver (currently has an old Zyxel nas) so as a first timer would welcome some insight as follows:-

How robust are they and as a home user is the extended warranty pack more like buying the same for a fridge I.e. unnecessary?

As a server it is designed to be left running 24/7 but I do turnoff my router when I go on holiday, so surmise likewise with a server?

What advised installable parts to add to the post purchase shopping list?

Which OS to pick ~ thinking here scheduled backups to connected external HDD with GUI reminders to swap to the next one? Key in my thinking is to improve my backup methodology with some server based automation from the PC and any future additional network connected PC's. (Such as the other half's laptop?)

NB if you have a power outage with no UPS how elegantly does the recommended OS 'recover' from that?

I know a lot a questions but insight is welcome and appreciated...........and surely I am not the only tyro (potential ;) ) server user

TIA :)

Last edited:
Is the search thing messed up on the mobile app I'm trying to find the original thread

There was a huge thread about these severs a year or so ago... can't seem to find it

Thanks for posting this - it's very much a solution that I was looking for, without being aware of this actual product.

I've bit the bullet, cheers!

Checkout the cashback on the warranty as well. When I bought my last one the £35 cashback meant a 3 year next day warranty was £30 extra

Any recommendations for an OS - not necessarily NAS?

Any recommendations for an OS - not necessarily NAS?

Was gonna ask this :)
Been looking at nas4free or a windows server... Bit of over kill but want a reliable system (not adverse to Linux... Tho I prefer debian based stuff)

My plan is:
Media server, music n video.
Cloud storage for me when I'm out
Cloud for my sister and dad for an off site backup (sister is in Ireland so I can't just get a disk!)

Possible geekyness bonus if I can put a WordPress site on it

Most users will be windows or Android based but for a curve ball my brother will want to play music when he's round so some way of using it with an apple product.

I plan to start with little ram and slow cpu then build up.

Was gonna ask this :)
Been looking at nas4free or a windows server... Bit of over kill but want a reliable system (not adverse to Linux... Tho I prefer debian based stuff)

My plan is:
Media server, music n video.
Cloud storage for me when I'm out
Cloud for my sister and dad for an off site backup (sister is in Ireland so I can't just get a disk!)

Possible geekyness bonus if I can put a WordPress site on it

Most users will be windows or Android based but for a curve ball my brother will want to play music when he's round so some way of using it with an apple product.

I plan to start with little ram and slow cpu then build up.
Put esxi from VMware on it. Then you can run several servers on it. That is what I do. I added an ILO card to it as well so I didn't even require a monitor or keyboard to set it up.

Last edited:
ESXi (now vSphere) is the solution. Free for personal use too. It's a bare metal hypervisor so just provides a platform to install other operating systems that can run simultaneously, as if they were on separate physical hardware.

That way you can have a WIndows server for local network filesharing and media streaming, a linux server for apache to run a wordpress site and (say) owncloud to provide cloud storage. Those are just examples, other solutions are possible.

You would still need a licence for Windows when installed onto a hypervisor, just as if you installed it onto a standalone computer.

I run an ESXi server at home, but mines on an R710 server and there's nothing "micro" about that :eek: (it's also noisy with all the fans, and the SAS drives can sound like a flock of angry woodpeckers :naughty:).

ESXi (now vSphere) is the solution. Free for personal use too. It's a bare metal hypervisor so just provides a platform to install other operating systems that can run simultaneously, as if they were on separate physical hardware.

That way you can have a WIndows server for local network filesharing and media streaming, a linux server for apache to run a wordpress site and (say) owncloud to provide cloud storage. Those are just examples, other solutions are possible.

You would still need a licence for Windows when installed onto a hypervisor, just as if you installed it onto a standalone computer.

I run an ESXi server at home, but mines on an R710 server and there's nothing "micro" about that :eek: (it's also noisy with all the fans, and the SAS drives can sound like a flock of angry woodpeckers :naughty:).
LOL Yes, that is exactly why I went with the Microserver and retired my 'pizza' boxes. I then use my Synology to provision even more storage for the Microserver! Amazing little device. Although nowhere near as power as the R710 when used interactively but fine on an everyday basis.

I did think along the lines of ESXi but with only 4GB of RAM seems a little short of umph. Use it a lot so it's not something that bothers me but - multiple VMs with only 4 Gig ???

I did think along the lines of ESXi but with only 4GB of RAM seems a little short of umph. Use it a lot so it's not something that bothers me but - multiple VMs with only 4 Gig ???
I put 16GB in mine :) saying that windows will only need 1-2 and Linux should be fine with 1

my old N40L can only take 8gb but it runs 4 VMs fine. of course it'll depend what is running on each..
That made me look. I thought I had the n40l, but actually I have the n54l. Phew I thought I was going mad there for a moment as I am sure I have 16GB in it.

well I canned my amazon order... they did not process it.. so gone back to ebuyer.com.
Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. :nailbiting:

well I canned my amazon order... they did not process it.. so gone back to ebuyer.com.
Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. :nailbiting:

When it does come just remember that any BIOS passwords you apply are a Maximum of seven characters :) --- Don't ask!

bios password? didnt realise anyone still does this.

Yeah... there are people around here who like to 'play' - and it was an option ;)

Back