Heating water in a field

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going camping for a weekend (not really, I'm going to a 24 hour running event and will have a tent to sleep in if I stop....).

I have lots of tasty nutritious vegan food that I can make with boiling water but.....no kettle.

What's my best option? I want to boil half a litre of water reasonably quickly (it takes time out of the race) and very simply (it's likely I'll be tired and not up for complex things).

I will have my car nearby so one option is a 12V kettle but apparently they are about 18 mins. Anything simple that's a lot quicker for reasonable money?

If you do get a kettle for your car, before you go, find the location and resistance of the fuse for your cigar lighter and buy some replacements.

It will save you time in the field if you know how to replace it beforehand.

This is the voice of experience.

Last edited:
Camping gas stove. It does the job. Take a small paving slab or table to put it on to reduce risk of a grass fire if it's very dry out there.

There are lots of options out there from the £10 gas cannister stoves to £150 jetboil systems, obviously you want a fast boil system so have a look at some wild camping stoves, they are pretty small and boil a small kettle pretty fast or if you have the space look into something like Campingaz bistro which is small enough to store in a small tent but runs off small cannisters, also look at MSR pocket rocket system they get good reviews from wild campers, personally I only glamp and use the campingaz excellerate 600st which is too big for a small system as its big and runs off a large bottle like a 7kg calor bottle.
If you need any info on anything camping, have a look at my camping group on facebook Under Canvas it has lots of info from 14000 members who all give great advice when needed

Last edited:
Take a windshield along as well. It can be almost anything large enough - a few pieces of thin plywood or thin aluminium, duct taped together.

How about filling a flask with boiling water before you go; it will give you a head start when you need it to be boiling. My daughter has a fairly new flask (actually it looks like a metal bottle) that keeps water pretty hot for a good 12 hours.

Dave

I found the fastest boil was achieved with a Coleman petrol stove but you may not feel too happy with petrol as a fuel.

For sea kayaking, where carrying a petrol stove wasn't wise because of potential spillage, I used a small gas stove. As already said the use of a windshield made it more efficient. The gas cartridge for the stove fitted in a small pot (kettle) - very compact.

I would suggest finding your nearest Cotswold store. They always have a range of stoves and experts to advise on the best for your purpose.

Not sure if any of their meals are vegan but try link then you will not need a stove. I once had one of these and was surprised at the ease and quality, maybe less so on the quantity.

Last edited:
I'm going camping for a weekend (not really, I'm going to a 24 hour running event and will have a tent to sleep in if I stop....).

I have lots of tasty nutritious vegan food that I can make with boiling water but.....no kettle.

What's my best option? I want to boil half a litre of water reasonably quickly (it takes time out of the race) and very simply (it's likely I'll be tired and not up for complex things).

I will have my car nearby so one option is a 12V kettle but apparently they are about 18 mins. Anything simple that's a lot quicker for reasonable money?

Build fire or take small camping stove https://tinyurl.com/ycdojwxv put water in saucepan or billy can and heat add your veggies.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Get yourself a Tranjia!

Ours boils the kettle in a couple of minutes.

vegan food ,surely you could just nibble the grass :beer::beer::beer:

I have lots of tasty nutritious vegan food .

Surely not, is there such a thing ?:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

For the sake of convince/ease of use I'd go with gas. Some of them are very quick but is borrowing rather then buying an option?

Last edited:
If you choose a gas/petrol/wood stove, then remember not to cook in the tent, even if the weather's bad. Carbon monoxide fumes can kill.
camp-fire-smiley.gif

Take a windshield along as well. It can be almost anything large enough - a few pieces of thin plywood or thin aluminium, duct taped together.

How about filling a flask with boiling water before you go; it will give you a head start when you need it to be boiling. My daughter has a fairly new flask (actually it looks like a metal bottle) that keeps water pretty hot for a good 12 hours.

Dave

I'll be leaving home around 6am and looking to have a hot meal that night after running for 8 hours or so.....

Get yourself a Tranjia!

Ours boils the kettle in a couple of minutes.

80 quid though :( That's about £25 per use for the weekend. I bet I could buy boiling water for £20..... :D

Surely not, is there such a thing ?:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

For the sake of convince/ease of use I'd go with gas. Some of them are very quick but is borrowing rather then buying an option?

Last year I relied on the kindness of strangers. I thought i might actually be prepared this year :D

If this is only going to be a one-day-a-year thing, then consider the tiny Campingaz; stove and fuel (but no kettle/pan) for less than £15.
Boils one litre in 5m15s, and the cartridge linked to will last about 2.5hrs.
Cheap saucepans or kettles start at around £5, or you can use a milkpan or similar from home.

Halfords are apparently selling a single burner camping gas stove for £8 at the moment, though it may be a bit weak.

Ideal ^ also these hobs are a lot more stable and camp site friendly than some alcohol stoves.

Asda are doing the gas canisters 4 for £6.

Thanks everybody.

Tech me wants a Jetboil. If I was hiking carrying my own kit for a couple of days then I would definitely get one.

Minimalist me loves the Kelly Kettle. Very cool.

But.....8 quid from Halfords? Sold :) £8 for the stove, £5 of 4 cans of gas (I wanted 2 but at £2 each I thought 4 would do) and £6 for a kettle from Asda. 19 quid for a hot cuppa.

Now don't make me educate you all about great tasting vegan food........ :D

Now don't make me educate you all about great tasting vegan food........ :D

Smoked tofu is marginally less revolting when fried in bacon fat! :p

Jetboils are excellent, work well and fit nicely in camera bags :)

On Sunday Aldi will have them for a pound a piece :D

Other option if you want something really small is a British Army hexamine stove.

Comes with hexamine solid fuel blocks. They work really well for something so small.

Also at 3 for £10, you can't go wrong on price.

Last edited:
Back