Heavily loaded RAF Harriers returning to the UK....

Edit My Images
Yes
I spent a few hours in the cold and wind to catch these to coming home from somewhere to the "East". As you can see they have two fuel drop tanks under each wing.

I believe each tank is 1,500ltrs, with 3,446ltrs internally, that's 9446ltrs of fuel! Should be good for about 3100 miles.

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

Stunning as usual Gord :clap:
If I had to choose I would say #3 by a gnats willy

BTW I wonder where they had been with all that fuel ? out on a joy ride no doubt :D

:agree: #3

Cheers Chris, if you look under the cockpit of the last jet (14A) you will see a clue to what they've been up to.

He has been a busy boy (y)
And hopefully home for Christmas too

Great pics!

3100 miles, thats quite a journey! Imagine not having a coffee before that one, and nodding off on the way :D

Great pics!

3100 miles, thats quite a journey! Imagine not having a coffee before that one, and nodding off on the way :D

Yeah but for 15 minutes Marcel ;)

Great pics Gord - where abouts were you to get these snaps? Is it a regular occurence?

Yeah but for 15 minutes Marcel ;)

Great pics Gord - where abouts were you to get these snaps? Is it a regular occurence?

They were taken at RAF Cottesmore (the vast majority of Harriers are based there). It is regular but not frequent. They rotate the airframes in theatre usually at the same time they rotate the Squadron that is deployed.

As you can expect they don't really announce these but it is something like twice a year.

Here is a picture of a Paveway (laser guided bomb) next to a drop (fuel) tank for comparison.......

IMG_8371.jpg

Although, if you dropped 1500ltrs of jet fuel onto something from a great height I would think it would do a reasonable job of destroying the target as well! :D

lol I did too Toothie!

so glad im not the only one:D

Here is a picture of a Paveway (laser guided bomb) next to a drop (fuel) tank for comparison.......

IMG_8371.jpg

Although, if you dropped 1500ltrs of jet fuel onto something from a great height I would think it would do a reasonable job of destroying the target as well! :D

Thanks Gord, and i think ur right jet fuel would def make a good explosive:eek:

Cheers Chris, if you look under the cockpit of the last jet (14A) you will see a clue to what they've been up to.

I'm missing something here! What am I looking for?

Echo others comments though - great to see them home.

Looks like another fuel tank to me or could be a baggage pod.

look on the fuselage below the cockpit and in front of the engine intake. Compare the aircraft in No. 2 with the aircraft in No. 4. You're looking for markings - not equipment.

Defo looks like a baggage pod, you can see the latch where the cone joins the rest of the body.

look on the fuselage below the cockpit and in front of the engine intake. Compare the aircraft in No. 2 with the aircraft in No. 4. You're looking for markings - not equipment.

The arrow type markings? What do they signify?

I thought they were for American engineers, to show which way the air went in... :D

True, if it was the VTOL version of the Harrier, which I don't think that one is!

;-)

True, if it was the VTOL version of the Harrier, which I don't think that one is!

;-)

:thinking:And here I thought all Harriers are Vtol capable?:shrug:

:thinking:And here I thought all Harriers are Vtol capable?:shrug:

Harriers are referred to as SVTOL, which is Short Take Off, Vertical Landing, but you are correct that all versions of the Harrier and Harrier II can perform vertical flight.

For people who can't quite make out the markings on the Harrier, here is a close up from another airframe......

IMG_6276.jpg

Back