Heavy Frost and Sunshine

Name
Drake
Edit My Images
Yes
Last Saturday the sun finally burned through the heavy fog that had shrouded the countryside for nearly two days of sub-freezing temps. Here are two photos.

C&C welcome.

1. Snow and Frosty Trees

b December Frost 1 by hunter20ga, on Flickr

2. Snowy Field and Hay Bales

a Hay Bales 2 by hunter20ga, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see the first in colour also. It looks a really bright picture that wants to show some colour (to me anyway!).

Really nice pictures too.

I'm in agreement with Steve. The crisp contrast between a bright blue sky and frost is often a lovely thing to capture on colour.

Any chance to see them like that too?

1st one looks lifeless. In colour I can imagine it'd look quite peaceful/serene.
2nd one fails to ignite anything within me - looks a simple case of converting to mono just for the hell of it.
Sorry Drake, wish I could get all excited about them, but they're just not doing it for me.

Nice set! I agree #1 in colour could be a cool shot but non the less these are very good!:)

Thank you for all the comments. I'll try to get a color version of number 1 up tomorrow. Obviously I prefer B&W but understand those who like color.

Great shots, the frost gives them an infrared sort of look. Incredibly sharp.

Great shots, the frost gives them an infrared sort of look. Incredibly sharp.

Thank you. I am very pleased with the D4 paired with the Nikkor 24-70. These shots were taken at 24mm, ISO 100 and f/16.

1st one looks lifeless. In colour I can imagine it'd look quite peaceful/serene.
2nd one fails to ignite anything within me - looks a simple case of converting to mono just for the hell of it.
Sorry Drake, wish I could get all excited about them, but they're just not doing it for me.

Thank you for the feedback. I nearly always shoot snow scenes with the intent of processing them in B&W. That's personal taste, of course. The second shot has elicited little response from others, so I'm guessing many agree with you.

They both look beautiful to me, hard to say which is best Mono or colour

Thank you for the feedback. I nearly always shoot snow scenes with the intent of processing them in B&W. That's personal taste, of course. The second shot has elicited little response from others, so I'm guessing many agree with you.

Can we see the colour version of it, as well?
As you've said, it's all personal subjectivity as to what looks good, and fwiw, I prefer #1 in colour, now that you've shown us it.
It's not the most exciting scene or anything going on within creating excitement, but still has a certain "mmmm....." (said with a half smile) quality - especially as your eye tracks the colour graduation of the sky from top of the frame through to mingling with the trees, on its way to meeting with the distant horizon.

Last edited:
I have to admit, when I saw the first picture, I really was disappointed it wasn't in colour - I think there's a lot of times when B&W looks better, but wasn't convinced that it suited that particular shot so much - especially when the colours look a bit mashed, or that there's a strong structure that the colour distracts from.
Having then seen the original, I have to say that I genuinely do think the colour shot is much much nicer - though I think the second one works really nicely, the B&W of the first made the structure of the trees really distracting for me, and the colours in it are great - it seems a shame not to take full advantage of them.

Of course, I totally understand that you were going for B&W from the start, and by no means do I think it's bad without colour, that's just my personal preference, which of course, I hope you completely ignore, as it would be boring if we all just took the same shots!

Love those footprints in the bottom left of #2!

I agree that crisp blue sky and white frost makes a lovely photo but with these i cant really decide as i love them B&W too.....

Either way...gets my (y)(y) for both

Can we see the colour version of it, as well?
As you've said, it's all personal subjectivity as to what looks good, and fwiw, I prefer #1 in colour, now that you've shown us it.
It's not the most exciting scene or anything going on within creating excitement, but still has a certain "mmmm....." (said with a half smile) quality - especially as your eye tracks the colour graduation of the sky from top of the frame through to mingling with the trees, on its way to meeting with the distant horizon.

Here it is, along with the B&W version for comparison...

Color Version of Number 2:

Hay Bales Color by hunter20ga, on Flickr

B&W Version of Number 2

a Hay Bales 2 by hunter20ga, on Flickr

Love those footprints in the bottom left of #2!

I agree that crisp blue sky and white frost makes a lovely photo but with these i cant really decide as i love them B&W too.....

Either way...gets my (y)(y) for both

Thank you for the kind words, T. My English Setter beat me down the path...leaving her footprints for us all to admire. :LOL:

I really like the colour pictures. They show such a nice sharp crisp cold morning.

Two nice images. Preferring the coloured versions too. Good work.

Thank you for your feedback, Andrew and Steven. It seems color is edging out the B&W.

Colour version of the 2nd one is much better

Back