Hebden Bridge (Canal)

Name
Jay Payne
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this the other week, I like the picture but I'm not sure about something? does some of the sky need cropping is it all a bit central what do you reckon?

Hebden-Bridge(framed-small).jpg

Last edited:
It's a nice shot...but I think having the building more central might have added a cherry to the cake :)

I see what you mean I think there is probably too much sky but i am sure the experts on here will give you better advice. The colours are lovely. I think I would have liked it a little more to the right to get more of the canal boats in.

It's a nice shot...but I think having the building more central might have added a cherry to the cake :)

Cheers, that maybe it I think the colour of the trees caught my attention when I took the shot so I tried to get them in aswell

Lovely colours and reflections :)

Cheers Toothie

Last edited:
I see what you mean I think there is probably too much sky but i am sure the experts on here will give you better advice. The colours are lovely. I think I would have liked it a little more to the right to get more of the canal boats in.

Cheers webby

One odd feature is the colour of the water, it looks almost Caribbean. You could crop it to a square, that would allow you to lose some sky and keep a classic aspect ratio; Klimt used to paint his landscapes in a square. Some odd ideas that might help resolve your concerns.

The tree competes with the building for your attention and the sky, although a beautiful blue is largely wasted space.

On the plus side the exposure is spot on and you successfully recorded the scene. I would have chosen either the tree or the building and worked out a composition that gave them prominence.

HTH! (y)

For me the thing that makes it seem strange is the apex of the keyside being off-centre. The converging points lead your eye to one side.

It still a nice shot on a stunning day in a lovely setting (when was that, I obviously missed summer this year... :D )

One odd feature is the colour of the water, it looks almost Caribbean. You could crop it to a square, that would allow you to lose some sky and keep a classic aspect ratio; Klimt used to paint his landscapes in a square. Some odd ideas that might help resolve your concerns.

Cheers Russell, I don't remeber the water looking like that when I took it, I must just have been lucky with the reflection!

The tree competes with the building for your attention and the sky, although a beautiful blue is largely wasted space.

On the plus side the exposure is spot on and you successfully recorded the scene. I would have chosen either the tree or the building and worked out a composition that gave them prominence.

HTH! (y)

Cheers for the advice, thats another box I need to tick in my head before I press the shutter! (y)

For me the thing that makes it seem strange is the apex of the keyside being off-centre. The converging points lead your eye to one side.

It still a nice shot on a stunning day in a lovely setting (when was that, I obviously missed summer this year... :D )

It was the 5th October 2008!!!

Back