Heliopan 105mm Circular Polariser

Name
graham
Edit My Images
No
hi guys
Been frying my head regarding circular polariser to fit onto my Hitech 100 filter system ..
I'm after a good make & found these heliopan which don't seem bad & a bit cheaper than lee ..
Any good these filters or what 105mm brand do you use ??
Any input would be helpful as will buy the make with the most votes

Tough one to answer in many ways Graham. These filters are so expensive that I suspect few ordinary folk will own more than one. I bought the Lee 105 landscape polariser and have been happy with it, but have nothing really to compare to (other than a cheapo screw in job that was nasty anyway). It has a slight warming effect compared to the other Lee 105 circular polariser, but the emphasis is on slight.

Hi Graham
I have a Heliopan 105mm circular polariser it is very good quality, Heliopan have been around for many years and have a good reputation
I got lucky and was able to pick up a used one for less than £90 but even new as you say are a bit cheaper than Lee
if you decide to stick with Lee which lots of people do go for the landscape version as it is cheaper and slimmer so less prone to vignetting .

Cheers Bob

I'm happy with my B&W for what it's worth.....decent quality and not overly expensive.

Bob

Hi Graham
I have a Heliopan 105mm circular polariser it is very good quality, Heliopan have been around for many years and have a good reputation
I got lucky and was able to pick up a used one for less than £90 but even new as you say are a bit cheaper than Lee
if you decide to stick with Lee which lots of people do go for the landscape version as it is cheaper and slimmer so less prone to vignetting .

Cheers Bob

Cheers for the tip on vignetting what range are we talking ? Getting a 17-40mm for xmas for the 5d mil II

Had the Heliopan previously and wasn't keen on the warm cast it gave. Been using a square 100x100 Tiffen for a while now which I liked but dropped it the other day and scuffed the glass so in need of a new one.

Think I'm gonna go for the Marumi super pro 105mm as it's had good reviews

Had the Heliopan previously and wasn't keen on the warm cast it gave. Been using a square 100x100 Tiffen for a while now which I liked but dropped it the other day and scuffed the glass so in need of a new one.

Think I'm gonna go for the Marumi super pro 105mm as it's had good reviews

I have a 77 mm Marumi super Circular P.L.D. which is excellent in every way.

Beware though, their top of range filters have an outer coating which is VERY, VERY easy to scratch. It could be the Pro range. Choose well!

I have a 77 mm Marumi super Circular P.L.D. which is excellent in every way.

Beware though, their top of range filters have an outer coating which is VERY, VERY easy to scratch. It could be the Pro range. Choose well!

Cheers for the heads up. Will make extra sure to keep it well covered if I go that route

Many thanks
Are you having any problems with turning it as the video states ?

hey @graycbr at first yes, but I used a very fine pencil and prised apart the rotating ring just enough to put some Graphite in between the moving parts, now its much much easier.

Ultimately though I rotate the filter in the clockwise direction so the resistance of the CPL tightening against the accessory ring is enough to allow easier rotation of the actual filter part.

Regards
Geoff

Last edited:
I have the heliopan slim cpl as well as the Lee landscape cpl, of the two the heliopan is far better, I find the Lee cpl a little weak and a bit too warm. Hope this helps

I have the heliopan slim cpl as well as the Lee landscape cpl, of the two the heliopan is far better, I find the Lee cpl a little weak and a bit too warm. Hope this helps
cheers for the input
allways handy with a real life test between diff makes of gear

hi bob
Will the lee ring fit onto the hitech system ok ?
cheers for the link
I honestly don't know but I'm sure that you could move the ring on and end up with a good priced B&W when everything's factored in.

Bob

cheers for the input guys
still don't know which one to get :)

hey @graycbr at first yes, but I used a very fine pencil and prised apart the rotating ring just enough to put some Graphite in between the moving parts, now its much much easier.

Ultimately though I rotate the filter in the clockwise direction so the resistance of the CPL tightening against the accessory ring is enough to allow easier rotation of the actual filter part.

Regards
Geoff
Pencil ??

Cheers for the tip on vignetting what range are we talking ? Getting a 17-40mm for xmas for the 5d mil II
I have a Heliopan 77mm CPL which I've used on both the Canon 17-40 F4L and now the 16-35 F4L with no vignetting on either.
Heliopan are a high quality brand and use the same "Schott" glass that B+W use.
One thing I particularly like about the Heliopan is the use of a brass mount, which seems to be less prone to jamming than the aluminium mounts used by the budget brands.

I have a Heliopan 77mm CPL which I've used on both the Canon 17-40 F4L and now the 16-35 F4L with no vignetting on either.
Heliopan are a high quality brand and use the same "Schott" glass that B+W use.
One thing I particularly like about the Heliopan is the use of a brass mount, which seems to be less prone to jamming than the aluminium mounts used by the budget brands.

Cheers for the input ..
Going to stick with 105mm as be future prof this way & be covered on all of my lens I've got ..

Cheers for the input ..
Going to stick with 105mm as be future prof this way & be covered on all of my lens I've got ..
The point I was trying to make was that I don't experience any vignetting with a 77mm filter, so you would be very unlikely to suffer any with a 105mm, even allowing for the addition of a stepping ring.

The point I was trying to make was that I don't experience any vignetting with a 77mm filter, so you would be very unlikely to suffer any with a 105mm, even allowing for the addition of a stepping ring.

With a 105mm polariser on front of a filter holder like the Lee's or Hitech 100mm system the polariser is further away from the lens, around 5-10mm away so more likely to be in the angle of view and cause vignetting.

With a 105mm polariser on front of a filter holder like the Lee's or Hitech 100mm system the polariser is further away from the lens, around 5-10mm away so more likely to be in the angle of view and cause vignetting.

Very much this ^^^^

With my 105mm heliopan on the front of my Hitech filter holder, I would get Vignette to some degree with anything more than 1 slot in place using my Zeiss 21mm. Wasn't so bad when stopped down with 2 slots on either, but 3 slots where a no-no!!

I'm not seeing any noticeable vignette with the lee landscape polariser on a 2 slot lee holder @ 18mm on FF fwiw ...

I'm not seeing any noticeable vignette with the lee landscape polariser on a 2 slot lee holder @ 18mm on FF fwiw ...

I think the Lee system is far more compact than the Hitech one when it comes adding the 105mm polariser. Watching a Youtube vid the other day and the guy had a Lee system with 2 slots, polariser and Zeiss 21m with no issue as well!!!!. I have now changed to the Lee kit and have just bought a Marumi 105mm polariser so I will update on this thread once ive tested it :D

Back