Helios 44/2

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
My Helios 44/2 came today. Looks in good order. Focus ring is a little tight but apart from that it's a goodun!

Here it is attached to the GF1.

Test Pic

Show off!! :D :D

At £3 each I wasn't going to just buy one! :D

I've gone a bit mad recently with M42 lenses::wacky:

Helios 58mm f2 x 2
Jupiter 135mm f4
Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f3.5
Albinar 200mm f3.5
Soligor 400mm f6.3
Chinon 35mm f2.8

I'm always on the lookout for more, I want an 85mm and a 24mm next.

At £3 each I wasn't going to just buy one! :D

I've gone a bit mad recently with M42 lenses::wacky:

Helios 58mm f2 x 2
Jupiter 135mm f4
Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f3.5
Albinar 200mm f3.5
Soligor 400mm f6.3
Chinon 35mm f2.8

I'm always on the lookout for more, I want an 85mm and a 24mm next.

Have you tried the Jupiter yet ?
I haven't had time to shoot it, a Tair 135 2.8 is taking all the camera time.
I can see I'm going to have to cut your telephone line, in fact, I'm probably a bit late...:bat:

The Jupiter was £3 too :D

It's a bit of a story actually - I was asking about these lenses on here, where to get them etc. Anyway the next day I was in Leeds doing the weekly trudge getting groceries, we went to the market, and I sort of wandered over to a guy selling 2nd hand stuff, dunno what made me but I saw these three sitting there, I asked him how much and nearly tore his arm off!

The rest I've got on ebay for between £20 - 40.

The Jupiter is a russian Zeiss copy, its tack sharp and gives nice bokeh, but the Carl Zeiss is oh so much better! The statue shot I posted here was taken with it. That was wide open.

I haven't really done much with the 200 or 400 yet other than a few test shots. They'll all be coming to YSP on Sunday if anyone wants to have a look at them.

Probably the second best bargain so far has been the actual M42 adapters I bought - I found loads on ebay for about £6 each, then found them for £2.49 each on Amazon. They've turned out to be really good quality, complete with the auto aperture pin flange.

wait...I have 3 135's...
jupiter f/4
Super Takumar f/3.5
Tair f/2.8

they are so cheap a beautiful looking, I end up with 3, 2 of which I don't have time to shoot with..

the Tair is the daddy atmo..:)

wait...I have 3 135's...
jupiter f/4
Super Takumar f/3.5
Tair f/2.8

they are so cheap a beautiful looking, I end up with 3, 2 of which I don't have time to shoot with..

the Tair is the daddy atmo..:)

Tell me about it...er spend thousands on L glass or £40 on a Carl Zeiss...yeah I'd like a modern quality a/f lens of course, but these are just flippin lovely!

To be honest i think it's more fun using MF lenses as you have to work a bit harder at what your doing. I love em! :D

I wonder if you guys could help me. I have a Sony Alpha 700, and I really love using manual focus. I do not however rate the kit lens, an 18-70, because of the construction and image quality.
Would I be better off just buying an M42 adaptor and trying to find some screw fit lenses in good condition?
I also have an old Nikkormat (with an F2 55, and an old Vivitar zoom), so I do like the old style quality and robust finish.

Andy

Nice! My m42 to eos adapter arrived yesterday so I can now fit my helios 44/2 and pentacon 135 f2.8 to the dslr. Next stop, macro extension tubes :D

I wonder if you guys could help me. I have a Sony Alpha 700, and I really love using manual focus. I do not however rate the kit lens, an 18-70, because of the construction and image quality.
Would I be better off just buying an M42 adaptor and trying to find some screw fit lenses in good condition?
I also have an old Nikkormat (with an F2 55, and an old Vivitar zoom), so I do like the old style quality and robust finish.

Andy

I'm not certain so don't quote me...but, I don't think there are any minolta mf lenses that fit the sony mount, they are all af, they changed the mount for af lenses in 1985...I think.
You could probably get an adapter though, old minolta to sony.
Alternatively, you could get an m42 adapter to use m42 lenses on your sony, there is even a focus confirm one available...maybe.
Dunno about a nikon to sony adapter..:)

Back