Helios 44 Thread - Russia's Best Kept Secret?

Side by side between the 44-2 and 44-M6. The M6 is much better in both finish, design, ergonomics, and the way it sits with the adaptor (fluke).

uQ2n2pv.jpg

jWn4SfM.jpg

TeJnZWS.jpg
v91PpxH.jpg

Last edited:
Certainly looks better on the adapter, more like a full lens than the 44-2. But, with these lenses we don't look for anything much besides quirky end image results.

44-2.jpg

I think I got a pretty good copy of the 44-2, the focus ring just stiffens up a little at times which can make you miss focus when it when it frees back up again, it's not terrible. I have gotten used to it's temperament.

Last edited:
Had a little play with mine this morning, will process them later, nothing spectacular, just wanted to have a play with the rendering of OOF backgrounds again. Trying to get my head around the way it resolves the images so I can use it a bit more walking about. It's so damn sharp away from the corners!

I centre the subject with the intention of cropping it into position. Make the most of the strengths.

Same here, I know some don't like to crop though. Me, I'll crop the bejaysis out of an image if needed to get the result I want :D

I agree the 44M's do look better than the 44-2

I think I had a 44M-4 but it didn't produce images as good as the 44-2

I also have a 77M-4 here which I do need to show some love to!! I've had it ages but only used it once!!

Hi, OK I see that the last post here was time ago but I am looking for info here or elsewhere on the 44M-6 versus the 44M-7 I have just got the bug with these Russian lenses, have the 44M-2 and the Jupiter-37A 135mm and looking at both the 6 and 7 but can only get one of them. Thankyou, Russ.

Not used either but can only assume that the 7 might be a little sharper, as it's the latest one. Neither will have that swirly bokeh that the M or 2 offer as each update had corrections

Hi, I have a couple of these M42 fit lenses and have two adaptors with A/F confirm and two without but is there a trick in attaching the lens to the adaptor so that when on the camera the F stop scale is at the top so when you look down you can actually see it? all mine seem to once the adaptor is fitted end up at the right hand side of the camera body so have to turn the camera to portrait angle. Thankyou, Russ.

I have a fancy for one of these..again. I managed to avoid my GAS last time by selling my m43 gear but as I have a e-m10 mk2 I'm thinking once more.

Not sure which version to go for though

Yep, that’s a cracker as someone funny once said

I went to a work do once at which he was the after dinner speaker, which was a nice surprise as I expected some boring speach from the MD, and he was just... wonderful.

I forgot I had one of these, I'll have to give it a go on the XT3..

Hi People , is the Helios-44-2, f2 58mm Lens a 42mm screw thread ?

I have a Pixco M42 to Nikon adaptor ( Not used yet )

May give one of these lenses a try

Hi People , is the Helios-44-2, f2 58mm Lens a 42mm screw thread ?

I have a Pixco M42 to Nikon adaptor ( Not used yet )

May give one of these lenses a try

Yup, any M42 to Nikon adapter should do the trick for you. I still have a spare M42 to m43 one so pondering on getting another 44-2

I've posted another similar image on the "vintage glass" thread. Straight after disassembling/cleaning my 44m, I took a quick couple of shots in the garden to make sure all the bits had gone back together properly!
Here's the photo. It was quickly taken with not much consideration for shutter speed or aperture (probably f4 but could have been f2.8). Anyway, I like the colours of the Penstemon;

P1130259.jpg

I've posted another similar image on the "vintage glass" thread. Straight after disassembling/cleaning my 44m, I took a quick couple of shots in the garden to make sure all the bits had gone back together properly!
Here's the photo. It was quickly taken with not much consideration for shutter speed or aperture (probably f4 but could have been f2.8). Anyway, I like the colours of the Penstemon;

View attachment 137920

That's a cracker - bees are so difficult to manually focus on as they are never still - you've caught that one well

Bid on one on flea bay this morning but didn't meet the reserve price so failed to sell...never mind

Bid on one on flea bay this morning but didn't meet the reserve price so failed to sell...never mind

What are you willing to pay for one? There's tonnes of them under 'buy it now' - it's the postage costs that kill it though on many of them

I took this one a few weeks ago and posted it on another forum - I don't think they really liked it but hey, it was only a test shot :)

Lone Penstemon by Andrew R, on Flickr

Helios 44M on my X-T2

Back