Hello and a question

Edit My Images
No
Hello first post on here! and I start with a question for you lot.

I'm looking to invest in a large aperture lens. If I'm not mistaken f1.2 is the largest on the market (please correct me if I am wrong)

The main purpose for this will be to capture images at gigs and other promo events with low lighting.

Rather than running out and buying the first thing I see I wanted the forums advice and/or recommendations on such a purchase.

It would need to fit a Canon 30D

Any responses welcome

Thanks in advance (y)

Sorry if this is supposed to be in the forum heading below this one.

I use a Canon 50mm 1.4. It's an excellent lens allowing hand held shots in really low lighting.

It's no longer the fastest though since the recent launch of Canons 50mm 1.2L lens, which is also very expensive!! ;)

I'll move this to Cameras Lenses And Accessories for you. :)

The 50mm 1.2 is close to £1000 - 4 times the price of the 50mm1.4. It depends how important that extra half stop is to you.

There is also a 50 F1.0, though this is not in current production, they do turn up on ebay from time to time. Though I think 50 is a little short for what you want to use it for. Maybe think about a 85 F1.8 or 100 F2, both of which are fairly reasonably priced.

Thanks for the reply feller, what sort of conditions do you use it in??

In all honesty it's not one of my most used lenses, as I'm primarily into wildlife photography. I can use it hand held under pretty well any room lighting condition though, however low. Having the option to increase ISO would make it a great lens for gig photography I'd have thought.

Thanks for the move.

I suppose my budget comes before the half stop so the f1.4 would be my choice.

Do you have any example images that you've taken with the 50mm f1.4?

This shot was taken wide open at f1.4.

lady-knitting.jpg

It's a very sharp lens, even wide open, and the limited depth of field produces lovely bokeh. The other nice thing is that is has more aperture blades than the 1.8, so you get nice round oof highlights rather than those hexagon shaped ones with less blades.

Another in very low available light.

Confectioners.jpg

Very nice, perfect for portrait!

I'm still going to research into a few other lenses but thats the sort of thing I'm after.

Any ideas why the 50mm f1.0 was discontinued??

I suppose it was discontinued for price. The thing is image quality wouldn't have been that impressive wide open anyway. More a lens for where getting the shot is more important than the quality. It would have been great for a bright viewfinder image in low light though.;)

Back