Hello...and help please : )

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum so thought I'd introduce myself. I take photographs as a hobby for enjoyment - so far I've been using my iPhone and editing software. I'm now wanting to buy an entry / mid level camera, mainly for images of animals / people, but I'm a bit clueless on where to start! Hoping I can get some tips and advice on cameras I should look at and reputable websites. I've had a recommendation of the Cannon EOS 800D but will happily take advice. I'm looking to spend no more than £600 ideally and happy to consider second hand models to try out.

Any advice / help is welcome

Camilla

Hi, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you. "Enjoy"

Welcome to TP!

I think there is a lot of sense to buying second-hand. Someone else takes the big loss on depreciation (much of it as they walk out of the store). There are several reputable sellers of second-hand equipment: MPB gets used quite a bit by forum members (with occasional issues, but probably far more successes). I think there is a whole section devoted to them for a bit of background reading.

You may even find there is a physical shop near to you, because there really is no substitute for trying before you buy.

On that thought, do you have a (good) friend who might let you borrow a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) for a little go. Some models are bigger than others. Some lenses are bigger than others. You may find that you are comfortable lugging something big around (I seem to be in that camp), or you may really want something smaller and lighter. This is a really important thing for you to decide - and it's better done before you spend money.

You say that someone has recommended a Canon 800D. I'm sure that is a very good camera, but I don't know that camera myself. There are so many options available, even just within the Canon range. The chance of that being your perfect model without quite a lot of research, handling, experimenting, is slim - perhaps think why that person might have recommended it? Do they have that model and find it good - that's fine, but do they take your type of photos? Or perhaps they have one for sale? Not so fine!

Most people (me included) spend quite a bit of time, and money, trying to figure out what is best for them. Some (me included) are never sure that they have got there!

The general rule (not always 100% followed) is that Canon models with longer model names, and higher numbered, are smaller, more "plasticky" and less well featured. Of course, until you know what you need, something smaller, lighter and simpler might be perfect.

I sort of meandered: Canon 500D (very good, still use it from time to time), 5D (now sold, original model is rather long in the tooth, later versions are excellent I am told), 1Ds mk II (now put out to pasture; excellent, but very, very big - that might not suit you), 1Ds mk III (my main camera, just excellent, but big), 7D mk II (another excellent camera, with more bells and whistles than the two 1 series cameras). Probably none of these would be right for you, but I don't know, that's for you to figure out.

There are also mirrorless cameras (more choice!) which tend to be a bit smaller and lighter than their DSLR brothers.

It's all very tricky! Good luck!

Hi and welcome to the forum, enjoy yourself here ;)

I use Fuji equipment, mirrorless, as Paul has mentioned, they are smaller and lighter than some other manufacturers cameras, easier to lug around. Secondhand is a good way to go. I've used MPB quite a lot and I would recommend them.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Do some research first and try to use a few different models before you buy.

:fuji:

Another fuji fan here, if you're new to photography then the dials on some fujis will be your friend and help you learn your settings, it's nicer than scrolling through menus. Personally I also have a lot of love for Olympus, the features it has are amazing, if you want to shoot macro or night skies then definitely read up on micro 4/3 systems (Olympus + Panasonic). These days I think all camera brands are good, so it's a personally preference. I would recommend getting into a camera shop where you can hold different brands, even if you buy secondhand you might find that one brand just feels better in your hand. Many people complain the fujis are too narrow and they want a bigger front grip/bulge for the camera to sit comfortable in their hand.
Don't rush into anything, do your research so you don't end up being sold something that is a good deal/price but might not suit your needs. I believe that only Pentax still make DSLR's so if I was starting out I would definiately be looking at mirrorless systems. If you want to shoot wildlife then a 4/3rd system has a definite weight advantage over everything else.

Welcome to TP!

I think there is a lot of sense to buying second-hand. Someone else takes the big loss on depreciation (much of it as they walk out of the store). There are several reputable sellers of second-hand equipment: MPB gets used quite a bit by forum members (with occasional issues, but probably far more successes). I think there is a whole section devoted to them for a bit of background reading.

You may even find there is a physical shop near to you, because there really is no substitute for trying before you buy.

On that thought, do you have a (good) friend who might let you borrow a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) for a little go. Some models are bigger than others. Some lenses are bigger than others. You may find that you are comfortable lugging something big around (I seem to be in that camp), or you may really want something smaller and lighter. This is a really important thing for you to decide - and it's better done before you spend money.

You say that someone has recommended a Canon 800D. I'm sure that is a very good camera, but I don't know that camera myself. There are so many options available, even just within the Canon range. The chance of that being your perfect model without quite a lot of research, handling, experimenting, is slim - perhaps think why that person might have recommended it? Do they have that model and find it good - that's fine, but do they take your type of photos? Or perhaps they have one for sale? Not so fine!

Most people (me included) spend quite a bit of time, and money, trying to figure out what is best for them. Some (me included) are never sure that they have got there!

The general rule (not always 100% followed) is that Canon models with longer model names, and higher numbered, are smaller, more "plasticky" and less well featured. Of course, until you know what you need, something smaller, lighter and simpler might be perfect.

I sort of meandered: Canon 500D (very good, still use it from time to time), 5D (now sold, original model is rather long in the tooth, later versions are excellent I am told), 1Ds mk II (now put out to pasture; excellent, but very, very big - that might not suit you), 1Ds mk III (my main camera, just excellent, but big), 7D mk II (another excellent camera, with more bells and whistles than the two 1 series cameras). Probably none of these would be right for you, but I don't know, that's for you to figure out.

There are also mirrorless cameras (more choice!) which tend to be a bit smaller and lighter than their DSLR brothers.

It's all very tricky! Good luck!
Thank you for taking time to reply to me! All really helpful and I’ll keep in mind when researching. think I’ll definitely try some out at a shop first to get a feel for different makes / models. Many thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum, enjoy yourself here ;)

I use Fuji equipment, mirrorless, as Paul has mentioned, they are smaller and lighter than some other manufacturers cameras, easier to lug around. Secondhand is a good way to go. I've used MPB quite a lot and I would recommend them.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Do some research first and try to use a few different models before you buy.

:fuji:
Thank you very much, really helpful.

I’m in the North West - I’ll definitely check out MPB

Many thanks

Another fuji fan here, if you're new to photography then the dials on some fujis will be your friend and help you learn your settings, it's nicer than scrolling through menus. Personally I also have a lot of love for Olympus, the features it has are amazing, if you want to shoot macro or night skies then definitely read up on micro 4/3 systems (Olympus + Panasonic). These days I think all camera brands are good, so it's a personally preference. I would recommend getting into a camera shop where you can hold different brands, even if you buy secondhand you might find that one brand just feels better in your hand. Many people complain the fujis are too narrow and they want a bigger front grip/bulge for the camera to sit comfortable in their hand.
Don't rush into anything, do your research so you don't end up being sold something that is a good deal/price but might not suit your needs. I believe that only Pentax still make DSLR's so if I was starting out I would definiately be looking at mirrorless systems. If you want to shoot wildlife then a 4/3rd system has a definite weight advantage over everything else.
Thank you! That’s really helpful, I’ve not looked at Fuji much so I’ll definitely factor in when researching. I’ll certainly be going to try some out in a shop to get a feel for things.

Many thanks

The 800d is a decent camera, my partner has the 750d and I'm impressed by the quality of that, it's also pretty good in low light. It would be a fine camera to start with.

The 800d is a decent camera, my partner has the 750d and I'm impressed by the quality of that, it's also pretty good in low light. It would be a fine camera to start with.

Thank you! Yes I’m definitely looking for something that’s good in low light too so that’s good to know.

Hi Camilla and welcome to TP

Lots of insights above but I don't think anyone else has mentioned lenses. These/they are important consideration in regard to the subjects that you mention.....

People photography
Indoors and/or outdoors
Portraiture or groups
Static or moving about

Animals
Wildlife if so what types e.g. small garden birds or deer in a parkland
Domestic ~ broadly the same as 'people' question.

Why do I say this, well. is the £600 you mention just for the camera(body) if so how much is in your budget or a lens (or two?)

Oh, none too sure about second hand in general but please do not be tempted by the adverts selling a bundle of gear (body, lenses, flash gear, filters etc, etc) most of the accessories in those "kits" will be of little to limited use IMO for a novice and frankly IMO they are there to trap the unwary.......though as I see mention of these mainly on eBay and you did say "reputable websites"

So, if you can give some more detailed answer(s) to what I ask above those with Canon knowledge can chip as needed and others for their now favoured make(s).

PS I used to use Canon for many years but switched to Olympus in 2016 mainly, for me, due to the weight of the kit I was lugging around for my wildlife photography.

PPS as a novice the world is your oyster and the learning curve is ahead of you, enjoy the journey :

Camilla, hello and welcome :D

Do yourself a favour and research mirrorless cameras. I believe they do offer advantages over the traditional DSLR.

Back