Hello and Scam Alert

Edit My Images
Yes
Been a member for a while just thought I would say hello and warn you of a scam I have just come across on Amazon.

Under the listing for any new product is always alternate new and used link, which if you use Amazon is safe.

On the D700 page was a couple of used cameras £780, and £830 no other information, so I e-mailed some questions via Amazon.

One replied this evening "Ex Demo, hardly any use, all bits and bobs and 1 year UK warranty" if you would like to buy send us your Name, Address etc and we can process it through Amazon.

There was no request for payment details.

I received a genuine looking Amazon 'Confirmation Of Order' however the give away was the request for payment by Western Union.

It included a load of blurb about to maintain safety Amazon would hold the funds, and gave a number to contact once goods arrived to release funds.

It is a scam, and the old adage if it looks too good to be true it usually is, plus if it asks for payment via Western Union it is a scam.

Fortunately I am wise enough to know this, but there were other cameras on the 'rogue Amazon Market Place page' so I thought it a good idea to put up a warning here.

I have reported this to Amazon, but be alert fellow togs :)

Hi Martyn,
I have tried to buy a few of these, but never give my details in the rather odd fashion they ask for.
Both my Dad and myself have asked a few questions to Amazon, but they really don't seem bothered.
I hope your attempt is more successful than ours have been.

When I was buying my camera I'd emailed a couple of sellers on Amazon who were offering very cheap cameras. Both gave very similar responses regarding ex demo stock etc, and both requested name/address details etc. Needless to say I didn't fall for it, and actually emailed Amazon to inquire about the legitimacy of these sellers but never recieved a response.

Excuse me it is the same Martyn, I had a senior moment and lost my log in details partially down to changing all my Amazon account stuff, to ensure that there was no way they could gain access to that.

I will stay as this one as I wrote these details down.

The scammers must be accessing something on Amazon, as the first one was on the page of a legitimate UK market place trader shop front (I googled the traders name and found their legit site and e-mail addy).

Now another one has appeared on there, I have sent three messages to Amazon, and have not heard a peep, I have a direct e-mail addy for Amazon somewhere, will dig that up and spear in a complaint, they must be compromised as the info request was sent through their message system.

Sometimes they hijack a website & insert cameras, TVs etc where clothes etc should be. Again after emailing it turns out that 'western Union' transfer is requested. I've emailed Amazon. Once they got back with a thanks. I don't think they care.

Been a member for a while just thought I would say hello and warn you of a scam I have just come across on Amazon.

Under the listing for any new product is always alternate new and used link, which if you use Amazon is safe.

On the D700 page was a couple of used cameras £780, and £830 no other information, so I e-mailed some questions via Amazon.

One replied this evening "Ex Demo, hardly any use, all bits and bobs and 1 year UK warranty" if you would like to buy send us your Name, Address etc and we can process it through Amazon.

There was no request for payment details.

I received a genuine looking Amazon 'Confirmation Of Order' however the give away was the request for payment by Western Union.

It included a load of blurb about to maintain safety Amazon would hold the funds, and gave a number to contact once goods arrived to release funds.

It is a scam, and the old adage if it looks too good to be true it usually is, plus if it asks for payment via Western Union it is a scam.

Fortunately I am wise enough to know this, but there were other cameras on the 'rogue Amazon Market Place page' so I thought it a good idea to put up a warning here.

I have reported this to Amazon, but be alert fellow togs :)

good spot.
i had a very similar one a little while ago via ebay and paypal. just be careful out there...

Back