Hello from a Hampshire Hog

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
A belated introduction, so hello to everyone from Fareham in Hampshire.

I've been taking pictures since around '73 seating on a fixed lenses Minolta obtained from who knows where. During teenage years had a spell of darkroom interest with an ancient Gnome enlarger and the rigmarole of Patterson dev tanks and dubious chemicals spilled in our blacked-out bathroom.

I used to read the Amateur Photographer magazine when it was about an inch think and always desired a Practice LTL but pocket money would never stretch that far.

Later motorbikes, and family took over and didn't return to photography until a Canon EOS, in late '80s but that was basically family and holiday snaps, nice camera though.

Fast forward a bit more and arrival of a Nikon D80. This is where it gets messy, and I remain convinced that my best ever images were taken on that with the kit lens. Replaced the D80 when I got permanent spots on the sensor (not dust nor dirt, nothing would remove these).

A short-lived upgrade to a D3200 resulted until la poor decision to trade in for a used D7100. This is supposed to produce great images but in my hands it's frankly poor. Finally reached the level of my own incompetence so currently shopping for a used D3200 to return to a level I can handle.

You'd think after all these years, I'd be producing lovely work but not so, I just like taking pictures because I like taking pictures and I love the intimate engineering of the hardware.

I hate to admit it here, but in the last few years my, most memorable pictures are taken by iPhone.

Should it be of interest to anyone, I'm attracted to shapes and textures. For example, I love photographing unusual angles of aircraft, the mechanical elements of steam engines and so on. I also like shooting into the sun frequently enjoying the glare and shadow effects.

Hoping that's not too much for an intro and let me say thanks for all the wisdom and guidance offered in the forums here.

All the best,
Pete

Hello and welcome :welcome:

Welcome Pete. I seem to be interested in quite similar types of photo actually, and my images are still decidedly mediocre most of the time despite many years of interest in photography! I keep saying I must make more of an effort...

Hi Pete, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"

Welcome Pete.
I am close by in Gosport. My main interest is landscape and wildlife but will have a go at most things that don't involve people!

Welcome to the forum Pete, great intro (y)

I lived in Andover for a wee while, lovely :)

Back