Hello from Norfolk (Another)

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Basically, I'm new to photography however learn very quick and hoping to get some help with all the newb questions :)

My partner bought me a Nikon D40 DSLR with Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5 to 5.6 G AF-S lens. I've been playing like crazy learning about shutter speed, ISO, aperture, matrix etc etc

I've got some pretty cool pix so far, heres a couple:

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

You will see me kicking about the beginners area so please take a second to stop and help (as I would have used the search feature first!! :) )

Thanks

Another of us.

We'll take over... i'm sure of it :LOL:

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm looking into macro lenses at the minute - will post some questions soon.

welcome to the norfolk team

macro lenses are something i tried and just could not get on with i got some good shots but just wasnt my thing but i will point you in the direction of the ef100 f2.8 macro if you are on a canon base

Hi and welcome ... and welcome to all the other Norfolk togs who have joined recently!

but i will point you in the direction of the ef100 f2.8 macro if you are on a canon base

Thanks for that, I have a Nikon so I'm guessing I have a Nikon base. Two I'm looking at is a Tamron 90mm and Nikkor 105mm, will not be purchasing soon, have a whole lot more to learn. :)

Thanks for that, I have a Nikon so I'm guessing I have a Nikon base. Two I'm looking at is a Tamron 90mm and Nikkor 105mm, will not be purchasing soon, have a whole lot more to learn. :)

And a warm welcome to the forum from me :)

Have you also considered the Sigma 105mm macro lens as well...apparently a cracker if you manually focus your macro images. Very sharp and one of their best pieces of glass :)

Awesome, will pop that on the list of things to look into... I know its n00b but I still dont fully understand what the mm of the lens produces.

Example: If I bought a 28 - 105mm lens, what does the 28 - 105mm mean, does it zoom more/less etc? What is the 28mm and the 105mm bit?

Thanks

Awesome, will pop that on the list of things to look into... I know its n00b but I still dont fully understand what the mm of the lens produces.

Example: If I bought a 28 - 105mm lens, what does the 28 - 105mm mean, does it zoom more/less etc? What is the 28mm and the 105mm bit?

Thanks

28mm is the widest the lens will go ie. capture the most overall scene, whereas the 105mm is the zoom end, to bring the subject closer to you than it actually is, in the lens

Last edited:
28mm is the widest the lens will go ie. capture the most overall scene, whereas the 105mm is the zoom end, to bring the subject closer to you than it actually is, in the lens

Ah, got it so typically, low mm for landscape type photos, higher mm for closeups/wildlife etc...

Thanks for the help

Back