Hello, I'm new here and quite new to forums in general.

D

Deleted member 91540

Hello and thank you for having me on this website.

I'm a wedding photographer and hobbiest. I recently got into portrait and studio work and was wondering if anyone could offer some critique on my work. I will provide some images.

Thank you I'm advance, bare in mind I'm new and any tips or ideas are welcome.

PS. The website isn't letting me upload a lot of my images due to file size. Does anyone know of any android apps to downsize images?

Regards
ConnorPhoebe at the Staircase.jpgCassie Chair Colour.jpgCassie BW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
More images. I found out a way to compress them with an app.Phoebe at the Well_compress94.jpgPhoebe Well Well Well_compress7.jpgCassie Finger Lip eye open_compress92.jpgCassie Standing BB_compress34.jpgIMG_20200216_150806_409_compress25.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum. You managed to sort out the log in issues. :)

Hi and welcome to the forum, enjoy yourself here :wave:

Hi and welcome to the forum. You managed to sort out the log in issues. :)
Haha yeah thank you for the concern. I am just using the website now instead of the app. I do love this site so far. Everyone seems very helpful. Just take me some getting used to

Hi Connor, And welcome aboard TP, "Enjoy".

OK, 1st impression is that Photos appear to lack any "life", all dull and lacks vitality

MOD EDIT: OP has "edit my images" set to no - Please do not post edits when this is the case.

A bit better but can`t do much with such a small file.
You should try explain what you mean, I'm all for improving but I feel you really over exposed the file and added too many details to the shadows giving it a HDR look. How can I add vitality and live to my photos?

Hi Connor, welcome aboard.

I've taken the liberty of moving this thread to the correct bit of the forum - you may get some more feedback now it's in the right area :)
Awww thank you so much. I'm a bit lost when it comes to this stuff. But my post looks a lot better now. Thank you

Wlecome to the forums Connor. There is a wealth of knowledge and help on here. Don't let the haters put you off.
Thank you, yeno I enjoy the haters from time to time , they test me

Hi Connor, welcome to TP!

Sometimes it also helps to either post less images, or label them. There are quite a few to go through here.

I think 1, 5 & 8 are the strongest images for me.

#1 - I'd be tempted to lose the brown OOF stuff and crop to the hand. The brown blurry thing is a bit too "in your face" for me. I like the expression and the overall pose. The lighting is a bit bland, but that would depend on what you had available.
#2 & #3 are a bit to cliched for me. It's a nice tidy composition, but again, the lgihting is a bit bland. You appear to be going for a dramatic look to your image,s but the lighting is what I'd consider for something softer.
#4 is nice but the subject looks a bit "hunched" in the frame and kinda "plonked" in the middle.
#5 is a nice composition, but the subject appears a little lost in all the white dress. Not sure how I'd improve on it, but with a bit more work I think you could come up with something really nice.
#6 is a big bold dramatic portrait, but the lack of eye contact takes that away. Also, I really am not a fan of the finger-on-lip pose (which is purely a personal thing!!)
#7 Looks awkward and uncomfortable to me. If you;re advertising the jacket and trousers, it's fab, but as a character shot it's not working at all. Looks like she's got a dirty chin...
#8 is my favourite. Really nice pose and composition. Love the expression and faraway look. But I'm a bit confused by the lighting which is why a normal person might like it more than me. There's a splash of yellow on her chest that doesn't translate onto her face which makes it look like you've pointed the light at her chest. It's just "weird" and something only I would probably spot.

My advice would be to tackle one thing at a time. Start with natural light and work on composition, expression and engagement with your model. Once you've got more comfortable with that, work on the light. Once you've got that, try combining them. For me, where you've done well with the composition, the lighting has let you down. It's a great start for a beginner and just requires more practise. Keep at it!

Last edited:
Hi Connor, welcome to TP!

Sometimes it also helps to either post less images, or label them. There are quite a few to go through here.

I think 1, 5 & 8 are the strongest images for me.

#1 - I'd be tempted to lose the brown OOF stuff and crop to the hand. The brown blurry thing is a bit too "in your face" for me. I like the expression and the overall pose. The lighting is a bit bland, but that would depend on what you had available.
#2 & #3 are a bit to cliched for me. It's a nice tidy composition, but again, the lgihting is a bit bland. You appear to be going for a dramatic look to your image,s but the lighting is what I'd consider for something softer.
#4 is nice but the subject looks a bit "hunched" in the frame and kinda "plonked" in the middle.
#5 is a nice composition, but the subject appears a little lost in all the white dress. Not sure how I'd improve on it, but with a bit more work I think you could come up with something really nice.
#6 is a big bold dramatic portrait, but the lack of eye contact takes that away. Also, I really am not a fan of the finger-on-lip pose (which is purely a personal thing!!)
#7 Looks awkward and uncomfortable to me. If you;re advertising the jacket and trousers, it's fab, but as a character shot it's not working at all. Looks like she's got a dirty chin...
#8 is my favourite. Really nice pose and composition. Love the expression and faraway look. But I'm a bit confused by the lighting which is why a normal person might like it more than me. There's a splash of yellow on her chest that doesn't translate onto her face which makes it look like you've pointed the light at her chest. It's just "weird" and something only I would probably spot.

My advice would be to tackle one thing at a time. Start with natural light and work on composition, expression and engagement with your model. Once you've got more comfortable with that, work on the light. Once you've got that, try combining them. For me, where you've done well with the composition, the lighting has let you down. It's a great start for a beginner and just requires more practise. Keep at it!
Thank you so much for the response and critique, I have read through everything you said and I honestly agree and you made me look at things I usually wouldn't and think outside the box a bit with my images in future. It was a great critique and very helpful. This is how critiques should be done. Thank you so much again and I'll be sure to upload my next shoot with my new improvements

Just one thing I'd add would be about selection of focal lengths in relation to posing. In images 2, 3 and 5 there is significant distortion, with hands larger than heads etc, likely due to use of a relatively short focal length. This may have been a deliberate choice, but it does make the image a little jarring and is unflattering for the model. Using a longer focal length would give more natural proportions and reduce the distortion.

For me, the last image is much stronger than the others, with a more flattering pose, although the 4th, 5th and 1st are strong too.

Back