Hello!

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I'm Graham.
I'm starting my journey out pretty late in life although I've nearly always had a camera of some sorts.
I started getting back into photography early last year and did a beginners course of the exposure triangle and bought a Fuju XT-2 and 18-55mm lens.
I enjoyed that so I have been doing another course with my local camera club. We meet each month to discuss a subject and show some phots that we've taken.
I was doing ok but then I had some heath problems with my back and couldn't move well, put on loads of weight and got really down about it. Since then, I don't seem to have had the motivation or the confidence to get out there (it doesn't help that its been winter and the weather in November and December was awful here).
So, my question is I wondered if anyone had any tips to get my motivation back! I can move now so I can get out but I'm a bit nervous about doing so.
Is it as simple, in your views, to just get out there? If so, I need to push myself.
I did try buying some new kit but I think that fuels that obsession!
Thanks for listening - but I would appreciate your views!
G.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to TP

You mentioned enjoying your course and the camera club experience, so can I suggest that you restart by giving yourself a 'mini project'.

Perhaps a walk along a nearby canal, a woodland walk, city/town centre candids, street signs......???

Welcome Graham, I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Join one of the challenges on the TP forum, even a monthly one will ensure you get out with a very nice camera/lens combo and take some images. Whereabouts in the world are you? Maybe meet up with fellow members?

:fuji:

Hi Graham
When the wet and gloomy weather comes then I find it difficult to find the motivation to get out sometimes. I did a 'main project' (like Box Brownie suggested) last year and took some indoor photos of my dogs and various things around the house. I actually quite enjoyed doing them in the end - from choosing the subject, deciding on the lens, flash maybe, or taking them out into the garden and seeing how they looked out there (in the rain haha). I found it quite easy then to just take my camera with me when I was walking close by and I got some amazing street shots too. I find the biggest problem is starting a job!!
Good luck.

Welcome Graham. Quite a few of us hit that motivation black spot occasionally, especially in the winter in the UK when all we see out of the window is gloom and drizzle. However opportunities arise unexpectedly. The rain and puddles lead to interesting reflections; outdoor murk triggers some to explore indoor photography of people, animals and still life arrangements, or to learn how to use flash.
Projects and challenges are what we use on TP to try to encourage people to use their cameras, as Norkie has already suggested - you don't have to start at the beginning of a year nor see through a whole year's challenge, you can dip in and out (that's what I do); you can create your own challenge as some have done (Meanygate Meanderings is an excellent example - look up that thread), I'm considering one simple one, to photograph a tree that catches my eye once a month through the year. So have a think about those ideas and just have a go, and see how it makes you feel.

Hi Graham, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"

Back