Hello

Edit My Images
No
Hi

relatively new to photography, other than the usual holiday and special occasion point and shoot.

I’m looking at getting something more sophisticated, after looking I’ve decided on one of these two:

• Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV with 14-42mm F/3.5-5.6 Lens
  • Nikon Z50 with DX 16-50mm VR Lens
The Nikon is more expensive, and I’ve also been drawn to “you get what you pay for”, but I have read good things about the Olympus.

Any thoughts, pointers and recommendations welcome.

Thanks
Neil

If money is important, don't discount the Olympus. it is a very capable camera.
One feature that differentiates the E-M10 IV and the Z50 is in-body image stabilization (IBIS). The E-M10 IV reduces the risk of handshake-induced blur with all attached lenses, while the Z50 offers no blur reduction with lenses that themselves do not provide optical image stabilization.

Arguments in favor of the Nikon Z50:​

• Better image quality: Features bigger pixels on a larger sensor for higher quality imaging.
  • Richer colors: The pixel size advantage translates into images with better, more accurate colors.
  • More dynamic range: Larger pixels capture a wider spectrum of light and dark details.
  • Better low-light sensitivity: Larger pixels means good image quality even under poor lighting.
  • Better live-view autofocus: Features on-sensor phase-detection for more confident autofocus.
  • Better sound: Can connect to an external microphone for higher quality sound recording.
  • Larger viewfinder image: Features a viewfinder with a higher magnification (0.68x vs 0.62x).
  • Larger screen: Has a bigger rear LCD (3.2" vs 3.0") for image review and settings control.
  • Better sealing: Is weather sealed to enable shooting in dusty or wet environments.
  • More heavily discounted: Has been on the market for longer (launched in October 2019).

logo

Advantages of the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV:​

• Faster burst: Shoots at higher frequency (15 vs 11 flaps/sec) to capture the decisive moment.
  • More compact: Is smaller (122x84mm vs 127x94mm) and will fit more readily into a bag.
  • Less heavy: Has a lower weight (by 67g or 15 percent) and is thus easier to take along.
  • Longer lasting: Gets more shots (360 versus 320) out of a single battery charge.
  • Sharper images: Has stabilization technology built-in to reduce the impact of hand-shake.
  • More affordable: Was released into a lower priced segment (19 percent cheaper at launch).
  • More modern: Was introduced somewhat (9 months) more recently.

Hi, And welcome aboard TP. "Enjoy"

Welcome aboard! I have a rather excessive collection of both Nikon DSLR's (not mirrorless) and Olympus Mirrorless SLR's. I love both for their differences. I don't know the Nikon Z50, but I do know the Olympus E-M10 from a little experience, and I love it. Things to be sure of though with the Olympus: it's small, so make sure by handling one in a shop, that it's not too small for your hands; and the menu system can be a bit daunting at first, but some online guidance to set it up for your style and type of shooting will be a one-off exercise pretty much - look at YouTube and maybe even a book on the camera that contains recommended settings. The latter probably is true for the Nikon too, I'd guess.

Hi and welcome to the forum, enjoy :welcome:

:fuji:

Hi

Thank you again for all the replies.
Is anyone aware of lens availability for either? My online viewing seems to suggest there are more available for the Olympus, but that might just be my perception.

Thanks
Neil

Hi

Thank you again for all the replies.
Is anyone aware of lens availability for either? My online viewing seems to suggest there are more available for the Olympus, but that might just be my perception.

Thanks
Neil
It's true that there isn't that many Nikon DX lenses available at the moment, but full frame Nikon Z lenses work perfectly well with the DX cameras, obviously you don't get the IBIS, as non of the DX cameras have it built into the camera body.

Back