Hello!

Name
Philip
Edit My Images
No
Hello. I'm Phil.
Im in my fifties now and have always had a keen interest in photography.
Last year I really got into it and bought an Fuji XT-2 and enrolled on a course. It was amazing actually knowing and understanding exposure taxable, creativity and we had homework on doing landscapes, portraits and nature. I upgraded to an XT-4 and then seemed to lose it. I have some history of depression and going into the winter, I experienced this again and also some health problems. To cut a long story short, I simply wasn't motivated with photography and dropped off doing the course and have only been out with a camera a handful of times since and the photos were bleak, as was the weather at the time. I have been woking with a therapist who said it could be an idea to post here and see if there are any comments about losing motivation and how to regain that. I would dearly love to resume but I seem to be put off by confidence, everyone's photos seem to be much better than anything I can do, the weather, time. Lots of excuses maybe but simply saying I need willpower isn't helping.
Sorry this isn't a traditional hello! kind of post but thanks for reading:)
Phil

Hi Phil, welcome to TP. Spend some time reading on the forums, and checking out the photos.
There are quite a few on this site who have experienced periodic loss of inspiration/mojo/interest, but most of the time it comes back if the right trigger is exercised. Sadly Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real thing which doesn't make things any easier in a climate like the UK!
Confidence is also a delicate thing, because yes, there are some superb photographers on this site, but there are a majority who, like me, are mediocre at best, but enjoy the activity and processes, where a good result is a bonus rather than expectation.
We run various challenges here - DPOTY, 52 in particular, for digital shooters, where the object of the exercise is to have a reason for using the camera by aiming to enter on the month's or week's theme - you can start any time and don't have to enter regularly, as there's no prizes involved except the enjoyment of doing photography.

As an aside, depending on the theoretical approach of your therapist, I would imagine the thinking is that if this activity gives you a chance to make some small achievement, it might open the way to other areas of growth (ex-therapist here). So I would encourage you to look particularly at the challenges and set yourself a goal of shooting the theme, with no pressure to submit unless you really think you want to. The great thing about the challenges is that entries are not critiqued, so you won't get any negative feedback.

Hi Phil, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"

Hi and welcome Philip.

I have issues I've lived with for decades and photography does help me and doubly so if I can get out and about to do it. I like to go for a walk and take snaps along the way and I have them on a slideshow so I can see them as I'm in and out of the room. As I don't get a lot of time for photography another thing I like to do is research and buy cheap film era and cheap modern manual focus primes. Once I get one that gives me a push to get out and take some pictures with it.

Just about any lens can be used via a cheap adapter costing £10-£20. The price of old lenses seems to be rising and sometimes they can take time to find in good condition and at a reasonable price but maybe the hunt is part of the fun of it :D Old 50mm f1.8's used to be common for under £20 and it is still possible to find them at reasonable prices if you wait and watch.

I don't think the quality of the pictures should be a worry and who knows? With more practice you might come to accept that you're not too bad at this and if not just accept that you're a happy snapper and be happy :D

Good luck with it Philip. I hope to see you in the various threads. You might like these threads and there are more like them. There's no pressure, no competition to produce stunning images and no critique, just people sharing pictures.

Welcome to the forum Phillip, I hope the challenge and pleasure of taking photographs helps you greatly ;)

Thank you all for your responses. I never thought that I'd get that many and they would be so helpful!

Thanks again.

Back