Helloo!

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, just a quick one here to introduce myself.

My name is Chris, and am into my motorsport.
I have a trackday car and always did like buying the nice pictures of my car after trackdays.
I had never really had a massive interest in photography previously, mainly due to my lack of creativity.
However, my wife does enjoy taking pictures of all sorts of things, but has never really had a decent camera.

So I decided for xmas last year that I was going to get her a DSLR (especially after breaking a button on her camera when I took it out on a boys weekend sometime before).

After doing a bit of research and looking at the deals on offer I decided on getting her a Canon 500D with the 18-55 IS kit lens.

The main reason I chose the Canon was due to already having 2 friends with Canon's (400D and 450D) and so I knew we could lend each other lenses and enable us to have a larger selection between us. Plus they had prior knowledge of the cameras.

Knowing what my Mrs is like though with just using things and never reading up on them beforehand, I told her she couldn't use the camera until she / we had atleast read up on the basics of shutter timing, ISO, apature etc as there was no point in having a nice camera and just using the auto settings (IMO).

This led to me signing up on these forums after recommendation from other 'togs on other forums I use just after xmas for us to both use this account to help explain things to beginners.

Typically, as she is a stubborn woman, she never really ended up reading anything and I ended up doing loads of reading so we now take photos as a sort of team effort; her being the creative one and I tend to advise her on what settings I think may help her out and try to educate her as she still has no idea what they really do.

She was dissapointed with the zooming capability of the kit lens after coming from a compact camera that had 10x optical zoom (no idea of the real figures of this though) and I tried to explain to her that you get different lenses for different things.
We borrowed a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Canon from a friend when we went to Spain earlier on in the year so she could have a play with the difference in focal length.

I had already been thinking about trying to get photos of motorsport and had decided that we would need a longer lens then we had for that sort of thing.
We also both like the idea of macro + nature photography; she likes flora and I like the fauna.
After doing more reading on here, we have decided to look at getting a decent telephoto lens to use hopefully for motorsport and then we can combine this with a diopter for some macro stuff, so hopefully getting some kit for 2 different needs.

While we want a telephoto lens, we don't want to double up on anything our friends already have that we can all use, and I am always of the old adage 'buy once, buy right' so we have decided to save up for an EF 70-200mm f/4 L lens. That, along with a DCR250 should give us a nice setup for a wide selection of things (we are hoping!)

Hoping to have the lens for when we go to the F1 in the summer. :D

Anyways,

Cheers for all your advice and help so far (without your knowing) and I hope that eventually I/we can contribute some decent shots and comments to the forum.

Chris

Hi chris and welcome to tp. :)
I look forward to seeing some of your shots. And personally I think the 70-200 is a great lens very sharp.

Welcome to a hobbie that will match your motorsport costs ;)

I hope not fully!
Don't want to think about how much my car has cost me so far :eek:

Anyway, cheers for the welcome guys.
I know the 70-200 isn't a cheap lens, but I was looking to pick one up 2nd hand hopefully.
And as I say, I hate buying cheap the first time and im not happy with it and re-buying again later, so now I just spend the money the first time.

For motorsport, would you recommend the IS version of the lens or not?

Ta, Chris

If you can afford the IS version, buy that one. It's a better all round lens and you can always switch the IS off, which you should do for sport anyway.*

* OK that's a generalisation, but it applies in most situations.

But my thinking is that if its better for motorsport 'togging to have the IS off, then why pay the extra for the IS lens when I am going to turn it off?

Plus am I correct in thinking that the IS version would be heavier too?

I presume its that if the benefits of the IS in other areas for the user outweigh saving a bit of dosh then its the better option.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome, wow two expensive pastimes! Your either
minted or skint... Probably the latter :)

Back