Helmsley Castle - part deux

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Helmsley Castle, North Yorkshire.

As the heading suggests, this is part deux of my work in progress...

I have listened and appreciated your comments on my first effort.
I have now come up with this, straightened the verticals and sorted the sky I think, imo I believe it lends itself better to B&W.

Please let me know what you think because it is always appreciated.

helmsley_castle_1.jpg

Cheers, Graham.

Yes that`s a nice shot.

Top of the building is a wee bit dark but it`s a nice conversion with great cloud movement.

Maybe a little close to the building?

Hi Graham. I think this is very good, but a couple of things; the building seems a little overcontrasted - it would be nice to see more greytones, yet the sky seems to be full of mid-tones, so the two look a bit disconnected. I actually like the dark upper bit of the building. It gives a sort of 'glooming' atmosphere.

EDIT: Ah! right - I came to this before looking at the original. You have taken the sky from another image, which explains the sense of disconnect. I think you would have been better keeping the original sky, and just worked some structure into the building without overdoing the contrast. The original has the greytones missing here. In short I think you might have overworked the image a little. I would also add that I really don't understand the issue that folk here have with converging verticals. Agreed, somethimes they can be too strong when done with an ultra-wide from a low level, but these were fine. Remember, that is how our eyes see, and how we visualise distance.

Last edited:
This is very nice

Thank you, appreciate it.

that looks very nice, what is the exposure on it?

Cheers Dervish99...F8 1/10sec if memory serves me.

Yes that`s a nice shot.

Top of the building is a wee bit dark but it`s a nice conversion with great cloud movement.

Maybe a little close to the building?

Really appreciate your comments, it is slightly in your face but, I was going for impact ;)

Hi Graham. I think this is very good, but a couple of things; the building seems a little overcontrasted - it would be nice to see more greytones, yet the sky seems to be full of mid-tones, so the two look a bit disconnected. I actually like the dark upper bit of the building. It gives a sort of 'glooming' atmosphere.

EDIT: Ah! right - I came to this before looking at the original. You have taken the sky from another image, which explains the sense of disconnect. I think you would have been better keeping the original sky, and just worked some structure into the building without overdoing the contrast. The original has the greytones missing here. In short I think you might have overworked the image a little. I would also add that I really don't understand the issue that folk here have with converging verticals. Agreed, somethimes they can be too strong when done with an ultra-wide from a low level, but these were fine. Remember, that is how our eyes see, and how we visualise distance.

Hi Toby,
Thank you so much for time and your indepth critique, exactly what I need.

I'm glad you like it the disconnection needs work, (levels) or I'll start again,
also it is so easy to get carried away with PP not knowing when to stop and lose sight of your goal.

Converging verticals...good or bad? :shrug:

Thanks again Toby, really do appreciate it.

Nice work.

-Erik-

Tak Erik

Graham.

Hi Toby,
Thank you so much for time and your indepth critique, exactly what I need.

I'm glad you like it the disconnection needs work, (levels) or I'll start again,
also it is so easy to get carried away with PP not knowing when to stop and lose sight of your goal.

Converging verticals...good or bad? :shrug:

Graham, my pleasure. On the converging verticals, I have just looked again at the edit and the eye acually tricks you that the building is wider/deeper at the top than it is at the bottom. It needs some convergence to make sense to the brain.

The whole taboo thing with converging verticals seems to be more of an issue on this forum than on other photography sites.

Very Gothic...very nice. I rather like the dark top of the castle as it helps add a weighty brooding sense to the shot, IMVHO.

Back