Tried to clean the sensor on the 5D today,
this is what i was left with,
i was using a can air from jessops, trying to get in the corners
and the nice clean air came out like a beath from the ice queen
it left a white freeze mark on the sensor, i clean it best i could
with a lent free cloth. but im still left with this :crying:

what is the best way to clean this without sending it off to canon,
thanks for looking

You touched the sensor with a cloth and used canned air? I think you are looking at an expensive repair I'm afraid.

Oh dear! :(

I'd never use canned air inside an SLR. It's just going to blow dust all over the place anyway!

I'm afraid you're in the hands of Canon, who may be able to clean it, but if not then I suspect they're just going to replace the sensor which wont be cheap given the cost of full frame sensors.

There's quite a few threads here on senor cleaning, and the Copperhill method is favoured by most. You might want to try that method with the proper solution and spatula type pads, I don't see that you have a lot to lose at this stage.

Good luck!

No joke Baron, thanks CT i give it a go,
not too worried, it insured against hamfisted
****s like me.

sorry to hear this madpup! Hope you sort it somehow.

Sorry to hear that, try the method recommended by CT, get the proper solution and pads and give that a try - dont panic yet, if your lucky it may just be residue.

BTW heres a link to everything you should need - WarehouseExpress.com

Goodluck (y)

Actually it may not be that bad thinking about it, the sensor is protected by a glass screen/filter, so it may be just that which needs replacing in a worst case scenario.

I'd definitely put the camera away until you have the proper solution and tools though.

It looks like solidified deposits in that top right hand corner. With the proper solution and a bit of patience you may be able to soften and remove it.

Thanks guys, iv ordered all the kit from Warehouse Express,
and i'll be do the methods shown in the links you have kindly shown me
(should have searched forums before i try the blow it to bits method, also known as the "Madpup method")
back to the 300d for a while

and incase you didnt get it folks...DONT USE CAN AIR, even if the sales man at jessops says it will be fine.

Actually if the guy at jessops said it would be okay............ you might have a case there. Not sure though as they didn't do the damage but you went there for professional advice and acted upon it.

Jeez Madpup you only just got the 5D as well ! What insurance have you got that insures you against your own acts of vandalism ? I think I read that the use of an air can invalidates warranty but you may want to check this out. Strangely enough I've just been reading threads on another forum about sensor cleaning as my new 5D has some dust bunnies - something I never sufferred from with my 300D.

Hope it works out ok for you.

Ray

Full frame sensors will attract more dust anyway, which is due to the sensor using more voltage and generating more static (I think) especially if you're constantly changing lenses in the field, so sensor cleaning is something you'll need to get to grips with.

Make sure the camera is powered 'OFF' between lens changes, and when doing lens changes try to screen the camera from the wind with your body as much as possible.

It's already all been covered but to summarize, DONT USE CANNED AIR.
Apart from the propellant depositing itself on the sensor cover glass, which should be easy enough to clean off with a decent 'wet' sensor cleaning kit, there is a real risk of damaging the sensor as the propellant is frozen which can stress the sensor components and connections by causing them to contract.
A stress test I used to use when stress testing for intermittent faults on circuit boards was to first 'freeze' it with a can of propellant freezer then heat it with a haidryer to cause rapid contraction and expansion.
That usually brought the blighter to the surface.

I won't even use my Giotto Rocket Blower on my sensor as it just redistributes dust particles.
My preferred method is to blow air from a can through the bristles of a high quality nylon artists brush which 'charges' the bristles (but not enough to cause electrical damage).(keep the can upright so you don't deposit the offending propellant)
Dust particles are then 'attracted' to the lightly charged brush when you sweep the sensor.

PS: Don't listen to anything them numpties in Jessops tell you!

.DONT USE CAN AIR, even if the sales man at jessops says it will be fine.

That’s funny, because he said the same thing to me a while back. :LOL:

...only I made mine worse by then using isopropyl alcohol, which left bloody great smears across my sensor.

Then eventually I got hold of some 100% pure methanol which is apparently the correct thing, and after several sessions of careful scrubbing using the spatula method mentioned above... one clear sensor cover again. (y)

My bets on yours coming clean too...although it is a Cannon.. hmmmm. ;)

Did you know... :D

That the ultimate lens cleaner is frozen nitrogen, as it vaporises or something the dirt into its steam or something, :shrug: sounded great I though, but the heavy gloves are a little impractical for my needs so I stuck with the spatula method instead. ;)

Bachs - have you plumped for a high quality brush or do you use of the supposedly dedicated sensor brushes at 40 million quid?

Back