HELP!!!! 70-200 problem

Edit My Images
No
Had a wedding today and slipped on a slimy patio slab and fell a*se over t*t and my 70-200 took a knock.
I think the zoom ring is damage as its extremely stiff/rubbing behind 135mm to the point it screeches. Other than that it works fine.

Any suggestions on how I can alleviate the issue for tomorrows assignment?

The ar*e in me says use your spare copy ;)

Instead simply use it as a 135 prime or I’m in reading right you can use it as a 70-135? Which will be fine and dandy for wedding purposes.

Do you have any portrait primes like an 85? That would also work well as a replacement, while your damaged copy is out for repair.

Had a wedding today and slipped on a slimy patio slab and fell a*se over t*t and my 70-200 took a knock.
I think the zoom ring is damage as its extremely stiff/rubbing behind 135mm to the point it screeches. Other than that it works fine.

Any suggestions on how I can alleviate the issue for tomorrows assignment?

Rent one for the day or borrow one from another photographer?

I meant more inline as to how I might apply a half fix of some sort to ease the ring..... given I had under 12hrs at my disposal- anyone? anything?

As it happens I have a 135mm prime which I will lean on.

I meant more inline as to how I might apply a half fix of some sort to ease the ring..... given I had under 12hrs at my disposal- anyone? anything?

As it happens I have a 135mm prime which I will lean on.
I know this isn’t what you want to hear but I wouldn’t try and repair it if you don’t know what your doing in case you make it worse. the135mm will easily take the place of the zoom.

I know this isn’t what you want to hear but I wouldn’t try and repair it if you don’t know what your doing in case you make it worse. the135mm will easily take the place of the zoom.
I wasn't going to try anything major, but wanted to know if someone had ever attempted something/anything that helped as given the time allowing I was pretty much screwed for a rental or similar.
I limped it through today, used the prime and had to force the 70-200 when necessary.
Insurance job monday!!!

The ar*e in me says use your spare copy ;)

Instead simply use it as a 135 prime or I’m in reading right you can use it as a 70-135? Which will be fine and dandy for wedding purposes.

Do you have any portrait primes like an 85? That would also work well as a replacement, while your damaged copy is out for repair.
Spare copynnn..... I wish I had the money to have auxillary 1500 quid telephotos lying around just in case I attempt some pre ceremony break dancing!!!

Spare copynnn..... I wish I had the money to have auxillary 1500 quid telephotos lying around just in case I attempt some pre ceremony break dancing!!!
Doesn’t have to be another £1500 lens could be a cheaper variant. When I train people I use my expensive projector but have a £40 projector sat in the back of my car as a band aid just in case.

Whilst I appreciate you can’t get a 70-200 for £40 you can get an excellent second hand Tamron G1 for relatively not a lot but in your case the 135 prime is your back up and am glad it worked well for you.

Last edited:
Back