Help a Student Choose his next Lens! (Nikon)

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all!

I've decieded it's time to treat myself to a new lens for my d3000, having already got the kit of 15-55 VR and a 50mm prime. I'm looking for a nice zoom lens, but on a very student budget of 200pounds,ideally less. Happy to take a scuffed second hand one to save money too! I would also be interested in the option of trading in my 18-55 VR though, to cover the extra cost of an 18-200 over an 55-200.

I've spent a few days going over the web and these seem the main contenders.

Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 AF-S G
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX

Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC Lens - Nikon Fit
Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM
Sigma 70-300 4-5.6

Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro with AF Motor

I am open to other pinons of course though!

Common sense seems to suggest that i should go for the Nikon VR DX, and try and pick it up second hand. The Tamron however seems hugely tempting. I know it's not going to be great quality, but is it noticeably worse. It's all well and good buying a cheaper lens but i don't want it gathering dust in 2 months time when I realize it's limitations.

I'm presuming this is quite a common zoom length that people buy lenses at so I look forward to your opinions!

********* Now upgrading to a d80. If anybody has any AF lens reccomendations that would be great too **********
Ed

Nikon 70-300mm VR vote here.

Those aren't even on the list.

i think we're both suggesting our weapons of choice, for me i don't know exactly what the op wants from a zoom but i think everyone should invest in the 17-55 2.8 unless you're after wildlife, i think it's a great lens for generally learning.

2 votes for the 55-200 VR then.

i think we're both suggesting our weapons of choice, for me i don't know exactly what the op wants from a zoom but i think everyone should invest in the 17-55 2.8 unless you're after wildlife, i think it's a great lens for generally learning.

This is coincidentally is the plan for winter time (y) (return of student loan payments) but i currently lack the funds :(

I should probably add that my main use of the lens will be for street and travel photography. I would like at least 200mm of zoom, and the sharpest lens for the money possible. Also prepared to pay a bit more for 250mm or 300mm, though unfortunately the 70-300 VR is a bit out of my range Beatletorque

Thanks for all help so far though!

Are the Sigma/Tamron etc 70-300 versions considerably worse than the Nikon? Particularly in terms of image stabilization?

That was a flipping bargain!! I paid way more than that! But, I heartily recommend the 55-20 VR. Very sharp, very lightweight, and extremely good value fpr money.

Are the Sigma/Tamron etc 70-300 versions considerably worse than the Nikon? Particularly in terms of image stabilization?
From what I've read, they are softer. Not sure if the autofocus is any good and I doubt the Sigma OS will be considerably cheaper than the Nikon equivalent.

definately the Nikon 55-200 VR i had one and LOVED it, one consider getting one again (bought the sigma 70-200 cos i needed 2.8)

:thinking: So how come's you sold/selling yours then :shrug: :LOL:

The Tamron 55-200mm also punches well above its weight and is small sporran priced.

because i've got a 24-70 for the full frame cameras i now own

granted i could keep it for use on the s5 but i've no great need to hold on to it and i'm figuring someone might want to save £300 on a great lens

i know i was happy when i didn't have to shell out £1k on the damn thing :)

I bought the Nikon 55-200vr a couple of weeks ago, and am very pleased with it. Highly recommended and less than £150 new.

because i've got a 24-70 for the full frame cameras i now own

granted i could keep it for use on the s5 but i've no great need to hold on to it and i'm figuring someone might want to save £300 on a great lens

i know i was happy when i didn't have to shell out £1k on the damn thing :)

My comment was said with "tongue in cheek" & was no-way ment to be offending & I hope that you read it the way it was hopefully written in - I openly apologize if it was mis-read...

i didn't read it tongue in cheek but tbh i didn't take offence either i just read it and replied :)

I have the Tamron 70-300mm on a Nikon D40, would`nt be without it !
I can`t afford `top notch` lenses either so did the same searching about before deciding on which one to get and the Tamron has turned out to be just right for my preferred targets to aim at, [ action shots of dogs and horses mostly ].
Anything it might lack in quality [ if anything ] can usually be made up for with pp anyway and your kit lens will cover what you need for closer range shooting, though I`ve been practising a bit recently using the macro setting for closer `normal` shots so my other lens [ a Nikkor 18-70 ] I`ve only used once so far, [ for a wedding last week, not wanting to mess up through not practising enough with the Tamron`s macro setting for such an important day ], but everything else I`ve done over the last year has been with the Tamron.

I suppose sample shots might be an idea, just bear in mind I`m still learning :confused::exit:

*All these were taken hand-held
moon12aug09A.jpg

ptpDSC_0982.jpg

newyear003.jpg

gemportrait002.jpg

Don`t know if thats helped you or not as I`m only an amateur who still has a lot to learn, just thought it might be worth giving my opinion as its my day to day lens :)

If you can afford to do so, avoid the Sigmas and Tamrons. The difference between 200mm and 300mm isn't really an awful lot, settle for Nikon 55-200mm.

If you really feel you need the 17-55 f2.8 come winter, go for it. I think your money would be better spent on a flash or petrol (or train tickets or whatever)

I like the AFS 18-200. Very useful range and I thought the quality of images was pretty good.

I've just decieded to upgrade my d3000 to a d80 to make use of AF lenses! However, I still am lacking a zoom lens.

Does this open up any new options, or are the AF-S lenses significantly improved?

opens up more options for used AF-D lenses, have a good look around on the internet about the older lenses, and try the second hand camera shops and ebay.

I'll add a +1 for the 55-200 VR, its cheap, light, small, pretty good optically (especially for its price) and ties in well with the 18-55 kit lens.

Back