digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

As my name on here suggests, I've got myself into another issue :shock:

I've been after an MP3 player for a while to use at the gym and on the go, so today after approx 2 seconds deliberation I bought an Apple iPOD mini.

The bloke in the store gave me the details and calmly said " It'll charge up from the usb lead while it's downloading the music from the PC."

Now here's the bit that wound me up!!!

I got home and opened the box to find that I need a USB 2.0 port......and not a normal one at that....it needs to be a high power port!!!:censored:

My laptop has plain old USB 1.1 so thats that taken a nose dive!

The book also says I can use a firewire port, but it says it must be a powered 6 pin port.

Now my main PC is old now and has usb 1 but it does have a firewire card I use with my DV camcorder......how do I tell if it's powered?

The other cruddy bit of the deal is that I need to spend MORE money on the firewire lead :angryfire

Next time i see that sales guy, it's :nunu: time.

Anyone else on here had experience with ipods and old pc's?

Plug it in and see if it charges, if it doesn't then the port is not powered :)

As for usb the ipod should work fine with usb1.1 but it will be just a lot slower downloading tunes, it may even charge for you. Have you tried plugging it in?

Try the USB 1.1 port, and see if it works.
Does it not charge any other way? Does it *have* to charge via the USB.

Failing that, if you want to try the firewire and not shell out for a cable, let me know which firewire cable it is (how many pins either end), and I'll see if it matches to the couple I have in my box o tricks.
If it matches, you can have it gratis, save you buying one :)

Thanks for the replies chaps.

It says in the booklet that USB1.1 won't work, which rather annoyed me.

Marcel, I have a 6 pin to 6 pin lead I use with the DV cam, but that would be too easy :censored: you need to have a cable with the special ipod connector on one end.

Tell me more about this powered USB pcimcia card......cause that means I can still sit in the lounge and watch TV instead of having to go upstairs and use the main pc :naughty:

i have a USB2 pci card in my old box, but the fecking thing still tells me it will work quicker on a usb2 when i turn the printer on...

/kicks machine

i'll probably find one of the powered USB 2 hubs and keep it im my lappy case, :)

Back