Help advise on how to approach local sports teams

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I am thinking about approaching a few local sports teams to see if I can take some pictures at there games, im mainly thinking hockey and football. Im thinking small fry at this stage. I dont know what level I need to start asking to attend and take pictures. Has anyone got any experiences of this that they willing to share and point a newbie in the right direction in the Bristol area?

On a second point should I offer them my images to them to use or keep ?

Any help would be most appreciated

Hi Craig, I was in the same position as you. I emailed the Club Photographer of Southend Rugby Club and asked if it would be OK for me to come along and take a few photo's and he said that would be OK. I enjoyed it so much that I emailed the Media Officer and asked him if it would be alright to come along to a few more games for the experience and practice and he said yes that would be fine.

Then he decided that perhaps I could be assistant club photographer and take over when the club togger couldn't make it, and now my match photo's appear on the clubs website.

So get in touch with the media officer - just out of curteousy - and ask them if it would be OK to come along and take some photo's, tell them that you want to get into sports photography.

I dont know what level I need to start asking to attend and take pictures.

All levels.. You should never turn up at a sports event and just take pics at any level.. Including park football or a kickabout... Let them know who you are and why you are there..

The lowerr down you go.. the more they are glad to see you and would like some of your pics for there own use.. maybe website or facebook..

It really is that simple :)

Hello,

I am thinking about approaching a few local sports teams to see if I can take some pictures at there games, im mainly thinking hockey and football. Im thinking small fry at this stage. I dont know what level I need to start asking to attend and take pictures. Has anyone got any experiences of this that they willing to share and point a newbie in the right direction in the Bristol area?

On a second point should I offer them my images to them to use or keep ?

Any help would be most appreciated

THE DOWNS LEAGUE!!!!

Contact a couple of teams who play up there...some of them do have websites/contact details etc. Give 'em a ring or an email (or both) and go along...if you're committed you can get at least 2 games a morning and maximise your "exposure".

Some of the teams are listed on WIKIPEDIA

Give it a try! And remember to show us pics

Think of a short term plan then something more long term before contacting the teams.

Firstly you may need to offer the clubs something in return should they ask. This could be a selection of images for clubs website. Once you are firmly "in" Your long term plan kicks in! Team groups, action shots etc available for team members and famil/friends to buy of a website? Then there is any local paper interest? Small acorns to large oak trees (just hope its a bit quicker than that!).

Thanks for the comments, made contact with some one from the downs league today so thats one contact sorted. any other tips please done hold back

Definitely approach the club first, especially if they have youngsters in their teams and even if you have permission from them, ALWAYS check with the visiting team too. They might also appreciate some photos for themselves so get a contact email address if they do.

If you just turn up and start shooting, don't be surprised if someone takes offence and wrongly assumes that just because you are a bloke then you must surely be a p****. The sad times we live in. I experience it in hockey as we have a coach who takes pics for our website. He gets quite upset if he's asked to stop taking pictures when he's forgotten to ask. If you go about it the right way by making yourself known then you are more likely to meet less resistance.

I was lucky enough to already be with a club as a fan when I started taking match shots but I can guarantee that clubs will bite your hand off to get shots that they can use on their website in the programme etc.I photograph in the West Midlands league which is I think 5 down in the non league pyramid and only one other club in the league has to my knowledge a decent club photographer.Find a club at that level in your area and I am sure they would love you to along,make sure you get free admission and a cup of tea and a cake at half time though

I was lucky enough to already be with a club as a fan when I started taking match shots but I can guarantee that clubs will bite your hand off to get shots that they can use on their website in the programme etc.I photograph in the West Midlands league which is I think 5 down in the non league pyramid and only one other club in the league has to my knowledge a decent club photographer.Find a club at that level in your area and I am sure they would love you to along,make sure you get free admission and a cup of tea and a cake at half time though

spot on.. mine was in the unibond north (now evostick or summat) and when the team finally got promoted to the football league.. so did I :)

spot on.. mine was in the unibond north (now evostick or summat) and when the team finally got promoted to the football league.. so did I :)

Tony, did you need a licence when they were promoted to the league, if so did you get it through the club?

Tony, did you need a licence when they were promoted to the league, if so did you get it through the club?

Club gets a licence and you photogrpah as a named photogrpaher.. thus copyright of all pictures are wiht the club

Now I cover the games for the local paper under the papers licence as a named photogrpaher and the paper has the copyright..

Thanks for the reply Tony, much appreciated.

I have been trying to find out how far down the league (Rugby Union) you can photograph before you need accreditation/licence. I emailed the RFU about 2 months ago and have heard nothing back.

As a 57 yr old I am not going to become a pro togger or being able to fill all the boxes to be accredited, so if my team got into National League 1 or the Championship, would I still be allowed to be the club's assistant togger without the accreditation or licence.

As a 57 yr old I am not going to become a pro togger or being able to fill all the boxes to be accredited.

Why not? I was over 50 when I turned pro ..

ADDYONBIT: I dont recall at any accreditation process for anything ...have I ever been asked my age.. neither do agencies or newspapers..

Last edited:
Has any one had any contact with Toolstation league ? are there restrictions with using photos taken ? are they willing to let keen amatures come along to games ?

Has any one had any contact with Toolstation league ? are there restrictions with using photos taken ? are they willing to let keen amatures come along to games ?

Toolstation as in South West of England? As far as I'm aware no...but best to check with club before hand to see if they are okay with you taking photos. Which club are you thinking about? I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Portishead Town, im trying to make contact but no reply via email yet. I have a phone number to call this eve for there secatery. But i have also emailed the organisers at Toolstation today as well.

Not haveing much luck lol just really want to get out and start practicing now :crying:

Going to try and find some players on some football forums tonight and drum up so teams there but might be hard to find a fourm focusing on just my area i think.

When people say non league is that all the way down from league 2 ?

Back