HELP asap please

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all, I idiotically started to change the focus screen on my 40D, thing is I also remived the mirror with the focus marks on too!! Now I've put it back together but it won't focus, and it looks like the focussing screen (one with the focus points on it) is sat a little higher than it should be.

Does anyone know what I have/am doing wrong I watched a video on youtube on how to do it and followed it to the T, worked for him but not for me.

So to re-iterise I have removed the focus screen, the focus point screen a brass bracket and the black bracket which holds all of the said items in. I put them back in the exact order they came out in so everything should work right?? But for me it doesn't.

Please help I need the camera for tomorrow. Failing that anyone local to Dewsbury/Ossett area fancy earning £10 and a beer feel free to come and sort it for me :)

Sorry - beyond me. Wouldn't have tried.... Maybe someone can lend you something?

Can you focus it manually?

If there's anything wrong with the optical path you may find the focus point is outside the stepper motor range.

Make sure as you are looking at it that the little tab on the focus screen you use for removing it with the tweezer type tool is located properly in the indent of the frame/cradle. It should if located properly be on the bottom right of the focus screen nearest you
(the above assumes you have the camera laid down on its back with the pentaprism housing at the top)

If that's in ok then it will close back up again, sometimes takes a little big of jiggling to get it sat right

Only ever done it on my 5D and again assuming that it fits the same way, you don't remove anything though, frame drops downwards when the little catch at the top is released. Do have an old 40D tucked away in the cupboard, so if that doesn't work I can go and have a look to see where you might have gone wrong

Last edited:
Make sure as you are looking at it that the little tab on the focus screen is located properly in the indent of the frame, it should if located properly be on the bottom right of the focus screen nearest you
(the above assumes you have the camera laid down on its back with the pentaprism housing at the top)

If that's in ok then it will close back up again, sometimes takes a little big of jiggling to get it sat right

This jiggling has done the trick thankyou. I thought it would just sit back in perfectly aligned I thought wrong.

*Note to self, don't take it out again!

Last edited:
Glad that worked, should be fine long as you haven't touched the focus screen with your fingers, that really would make a mess of it

I was wearing surgical gloves and used the proper tool to remove the screens, everything's all nice and clean and back in proper place, focus is spot on and there is no dust on the sensor. Thanks all.

Back