Help attaining pure white for e-commerce & alternatives to colourama

Edit My Images
Yes
So I’m a product photographer mostly but I pretty much don’t have any lights or backgrounds...

(I’ll let That sink in for a Moment )

Right, so basically a lot Of what I do is product photography for animal companies. Mainly taking photos of leatherwork like bridles, rugs etc on horses or cattle and that kind of thing, so even though I primarily shoot
Products it’s 99% outside using natural light.

I’ve been asked to do e-commerce shots for a pet company , which means in addition to my usual outdoor work, taking some shots on pure white.

The only white background I have is a cheap china plastic fantastic fabric one that came with a backdrop stand. It came folded 600 times into a little crumpled pile and it’s sat on my shelf Just as folded for the past 5 years , so short of getting out that beast and ironing it while Praying it doesn’t melt... I’m looking at buying something cheap for the one-off job.

I’ve got a handful of random lights including
a couple of daylight bulbs,
Energy saving style daylight bulb
couple of 192 LED panels
and a real old school 600w Phillips bulb (the type that’ll take your skin off if you touch it) And I have a couple of white umbrellas somewhere to diffuse light too, if I can locate them, so I should in theory be able to Shed enough light on the subject (lol) from multiple directions but I’m stuck for aternatives for the white background

I could do with something nice n white n shiny like a colourama roll, but ideally a lot smaller as A - I don’t have the racking for the roll
B - I don’t fancy dropping £50 on something I don’t need or have the space to store as it’ll most likely be chucked afterwards
C - there’s not enough space in my little kitchen to put a big beast up.

I could probably do with something about 4ft x 6ft that’s preferably a “shiny” and wipe-clean style

Any other hints and suggestions on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated
Or anyone got any offcuts of colourama they want to sell, hit me up

The only white background I have is a cheap china plastic fantastic fabric one that came with a backdrop stand. It came folded 600 times into a little crumpled pile and it’s sat on my shelf Just as folded for the past 5 years , so short of getting out that beast and ironing it while Praying it doesn’t melt... I’m looking at buying something cheap for the one-off job.
You've set yourself a real challenge here, because apart from your lack of equipment you also lack the knowledge that you need for this type of photography . . .
Don't misunderstand me, you clearly have skills, but they are different skills. I've shot a lot of horse rugs on horses so know how difficult just this particular subject is.

If you're not prepared to spend a reasonable amount then you'll just have to make do with what you have. Your non-woven fabric background will be poor, but usable. What you actually need to do, in the absence of either a proper background or proper lighting, is to leave it unlit so that it photographs as grey, which is easy to cut out on computer.
I’ve got a handful of random lights including

and a real old school 600w Phillips bulb (the type that’ll take your skin off if you touch it)
Probably actually a 500 watt, but whatever it is, forget it. The colour temperature will be a theoretical 3400 or 3200K but in reality more like 2800-2900K and will produce a strong orange cast. Best just to stick with
couple of 192 LED panels
They probably won't reproduce some of your colours any near accurately, but are the best of a bad bunch.

You dont need racking for a roll of paper, just bung two decent hooks in the wall and run some (strong) cord between them. Not a good plan for a studio, but for what your doing it should be fine. Really your going to need proper lights, you cant bodge it with all different ones, you'll never get the colours right. You can get two studio (daylight balanced) lights with stands and softboxes for around £35. These should be fine for a few product shots. I tried a mates set out about two years ago and apart from not much power they were really good. The power isn't an issue with a static subject though.

I've used a couple of white hardboard sheets from B&Q in the past with a smaller piece of glossy perspex / acrylic for simple product shots. Arrange one piece of hardboard as the base and one at the back, sit the acrylic on top of the base hardboard to give it that glossy look and put the object on top of that. A big reflector comes in handy as fill. Easy setup with a kitchen table and a wall without taking up much room once stored. All depends upon the size of what you're shooting.

This type of thing;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-AC...hash=item444721895b:m:m30P_f4Eib2uAyYFyWr_7oQ

https://www.diy.com/departments/hardboard-sheet-th-3mm-w-610mm-l-1220mm/1696245_BQ.prd

Thanks guys, decided, in the end, to go with something that would last me and got a decent PVC one from Lencarta :snaphappy:

Back