HELP!! Beach wedding tips needed!

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. As a complete amateur, I would (usually) never even entertain the thought of taking on an assignment that should well and truly be left to a professional, but hear me out if you will. I work in retail selling consumer electronics. Yesterday I served a couple who were looking to purchase a compact camera 'less than $200 for their wedding on Friday to pass around, as they don't want to spend $4-5k on a pro photographer for a small service...' Long story short I offered my services FOC to help them out, as a $200 compact passed between the family with people missing from group shots just didn't sit well with me, and on a personal level it just wasn't the right solution for them, even though that's what they were asking for. I enjoy my photography, I have unofficially snapped a few shots at family/friends weddings and achieved the odd good shot and so I thought I'd try and help...

Now, my biggest issue (apart from the lack of full frame and quality glass) is going to be light. It's a sunset-beach wedding and I don't have any fast lenses... or a flashgun. Oops. I'm also more than likely going to be shooting into the sun, as I'm not going to be wanting to be disturbing everyone by popping up in the background.

So I'm looking for technical and practical tips that you think will help me please!?! Should I try and just shoot wide open where I can and avoid flash, or use a diffuser on my pop-up to supplement and add a bit of fill? Or am I just going to have to wing it seeing as the light is going to be constantly changing? Should I REALLY be going and investing in something like a 50/85mm fast prime? Or a flashgun? On this, would a cheap one get me by as I just don't have the money for an SB700 or the like...

I know this is a really vague post, but any help anyone can give is very much appreciated, by me, and I'm sure the husband and wife to-be!

Cheers

Dan

1. If you fancy one, 50 or 85mm primes are very nice to have IN GENERAL for portraits
2. Such beach sunset wedding is pretty much a dream to shoot... with the right gear and people
3. You can hire gear but I can't see any point in you doing so at a loss
4. You will want some flashes(s) at some point ideally off-camera, unless you just shoot portraits on white-ish background or silhouttes
5. If you miss something "important" they will go after you even if they haven't paid a penny. This level of "customers" has a huge potential to get badly out of control
6. I am sure they can afford it (and it is not like they must get the high end photographer for $7000 or whatever it is where you are. Maybe someone for $1000ish for 4 hours and small album will do for a start?). They just hope they can get away with it and probably want it spend on more food or splash on the holiday
7. Unless they are going to threat you with some exceptional food I would run away now.

Wow, Dan! On at least two levels!

On one level, you've got me to agree word for word with my old friend Daugirdas. Which he will tell you is a first!

On another level you seem to have set yourself up for the ultimate thankless task!

For what it is worth, I have "second shot" a wedding with Yv on a beach in Cornwall ... in warm sunshine ... with all the right equipment ... and it was a dream; so much so that some of my shots made it into her final cut. From your post, you already appreciate the difficulties you stand to face and I really do think it's fairer on both sides if you run away now and give the couple 48 hours to think about their photographic needs; - whether they want a proper photographic record of their beach wedding or if they just want to pass that $200 compact around and maybe, possibly have some sort of something to remember the day ... and if you do that, I think they should invite you anyway and feed you their exceptional food for that good advice!

OK, now I'm worried... haha. First two responses, both saying to run....aarrrgghh! Thanks both for your opinions, it is valued, but I think I feel more confident in attending and giving it a crack than backing out having offered... I did emphasise at the time that I wasn't a photographer, that it's just something I enjoy and they seemed over the moon just at the suggestion. I think I'm still going to go for it, if it turns out to be an utter nightmare then at least I've learned a lesson, they aren't paying and hey, its experience! It will be a really quiet affair, with only a small group of 8 attending(!?) So about the most manageable 'group' I could wish for really! Thanks again, I appreciate your wise words :)

hi apart from the d7000 what other equipment do you have. next if you are taking the wedding then get a speedlight. its seems a small wedding and i am not sure what they allow during a beach wedding in the way of shots. if anything goes then get the best position you can don't worry about popping up.
if all they were expecting was people taking pictures with p&s then you should do better than that but get there early and survey the venue and then look good positions to shoot from. good luck

The thing is Dan your post says you're not equipped enough or experienced enough.

What magic bullet do you expect could make up for that? You need some decent quality fast glass, some speedlights and remote triggers and the knowledge to swap from one to the other seemlessly.

Add the basic do' sand dont's for a wedding and basically, from where you are it's about a weeks intensive training and a couple of grands worth of gear required.

There is no magic bullet, there are some great FAQs on the net for shooting your first wedding, there are a few 'how I shot my mates wedding' threads on this site. That's about the best guidance you'll get. All the pros will just tell you not to do it because you're not equipped.

What everyone one else says......run away. Fast. Remember your only valued the same as a $200 compact, not highly and without some serious investment in gear and training you can't do this well. Above all remember no good turn goes unpunished. Cynical I know but I'm sure this has makings of something will come back to bite you

to be honest i think most of the posts so far have come from wedding photographers ,who seem to think that you are expecting to do the same sort of job that they do ,,,,with all the gear and experience that they have ,,( and it might even be what the couple getting married think as well , which would be a problem ),but i think that as long as you make it perfectly clear that they may end up with nothing that they like ,as you may have done already , then i would still consider doing it . i would still ask them to go with their original plan of getting a compact p+s to give to the guests ,so that they get what they was going to get in the first place ,( mostly tosh picturse i would think ) and also make your look good in comparison .
i think you would need a fairly decent flash though ,if shooting into the sunset ,otherwise you will end up with a lot of nice sunset pics with bride and groom sillouettes in them, maybe you were thinking of buying one anyway ,so now's the excuse ,,er time. just make it plain that they might end up with nothing from you ,sorry i forgot to put a card in ,,,sorry the battery went dead that sort of thing ,,,take as much pressure off of yourself as you can ,,makes it a lot easier ,( talking from experience )

If you possibly can, get to the beach with a few friends and try some practice shots.

Thanks for all of the responses so far. Phil, I understand that it must be almost laughable from your perspective and I know my kit is not serious enough, nor myself experienced enough, but if this was the case there would no need for the post. I'm not expecting a 'magic bullet', merely better results from an enthusiast with a 'semi-decent' camera than uncle Frank with a crap point and shoot. Surely that isn't unreasonable?! In no way have I even implied that my results will be anywhere near what a professionals would have been... But as said there was never going to be a professional involved. Thank you anyway. I'm reasonably comfortable with being valued at (or under!?!) a $200 compact, hopefully, as long as my results are better than said camera, it's a win-win situation for all.

Thanks for the suggestion donutagain, this will help. Thanks jon, time has been a bit of a luxury the past day or two, I'm making sure I get there early on the day to scope the place out and dial in some settings.

whats the wet weather plan ? I realise that strailia has a lot better weather than the UK, but even so - while a sunset beach wedding sounds idyllic, shooting a bunch of wet p***ed off punters in a marquee with crap light will be no fun at all.

That aside , i notice you said you served these people , presumably in a camera shop - is their any chance of borrowing (or cheaply hiring) a demo flash gun and or fast glass for the day ?

Thanks for all of the responses so far. Phil, I understand that it must be almost laughable from your perspective and I know my kit is not serious enough, nor myself experienced enough, but if this was the case there would no need for the post. I'm not expecting a 'magic bullet', merely better results from an enthusiast with a 'semi-decent' camera than uncle Frank with a crap point and shoot. Surely that isn't unreasonable?! In no way have I even implied that my results will be anywhere near what a professionals would have been... But as said there was never going to be a professional involved. Thank you anyway. I'm reasonably comfortable with being valued at (or under!?!) a $200 compact, hopefully, as long as my results are better than said camera, it's a win-win situation for all.

Thanks for the suggestion donutagain, this will help. Thanks jon, time has been a bit of a luxury the past day or two, I'm making sure I get there early on the day to scope the place out and dial in some settings.

I'm not laughing, I feel sorry for you, I fear for it all turning bad for you, and if I were you I'd still be shooting it too :D. I'm about the only wedding tog that didn't tell you to change your mind ;). I just gave you a reality check. You might get something decent out of it - you might find yourself addicted. But the smart money would be on it being a very tough gig.

I always worry when i see these posts but here is my quick guide and i am not a weeding tog but i have done a lot of them
go see the venue. i am assuming they don't want you to take the whole day. you will need shots of the bride going up the isle. at the altar if they allow and see what can be done during the ceremony then the kiss then going back down the isle. i know theres only 8 but start with them all and then work down to just the bride and groom. again not sure but cutting the cake and first dance. i always ask the couple if they want any specials so as i am prepared. again good luck

We clearly understand your point of view and your position. You have made it all very clear in the first post. It is only not clear * what is in it for you * and * their expectation, or reasoning. You said your kit is not good enough (your words), and you don't expect anything good enough for your portfolio, you are not getting paid, they are not family or close friends, so what is it then?

All they will see is your "big" black camera with "massive" lens, hence it "will take great pics" (you hear crazy talk this all the time). Just imagine when their expectations fall short. You will be the one to blame. And they will go a long way to tell everyone they got photography for free, and gossip about you with the others. If you do it, do it right, and charge for it.

i know you don't feel like facing the issue of telling them, but it will be a lot easier prior rather than post event.

Did you do it, Dan? How did it go? Did you prove all us old cynics wrong? Have you got some photographs to show us?

I understand this is a little late, but if you shoot natural light to expose the people you will lose the sunsets, if you expose for the sunset you need fill light otherwise you will be shooting silhouettes. if you havent got a flash you can put off camera, you can get away with couples shots with a small cheap LED light (used for video lights). Not as expensive as an sb700 for sure, or even cheaper if you can get hold of a reflector to bounce some light back. You will probably need an assistant for this.

For me the light is always more important so if neither of the above is an option and so apart from silhouettes forget about shooting into the sun, shoot with it at an angle so its your key (subject) light and hope the background is still decent.

Yeah well, life's a beach.....................................

I too would like know how it went, however did he ever say when it was? Has it even happened yet?

We he said there wedding on Friday...that would suggest it was to be within a week to me...

OK cheers Matt, I missed that bit, the lack of response considering hes been on the site a few times since might suggest that maybe i didnt go as well as he'd hoped

OK cheers Matt, I missed that bit, the lack of response considering hes been on the site a few times since might suggest that maybe i didnt go as well as he'd hoped
Given the amount of 'but you're just talking about professional results' when he was offered sound advice, I'd guess he discovered we were giving sound advice not 'professional tips' ;)

:agree: I'm no pro and don't profess to be one and know my limitations. After a friend asked me to do their wedding I refused and advised them to get someone who did it for a living, however I told them I would take my camera for the evening. I was so glad I had spare lenses when my sigma 17-70 decided to leap onto a stone floor :bonk:. Such a shame I now need to replace with a 24-70 2.8. The other lesson learnt is to have 2 bodies, general purpose on 1 70-200 on the other. Looks like I'll need a new body (maybe full frame too) that's what's I tell her indoors anyway ;)

I think I'm still going to go for it, if it turns out to be an utter nightmare then at least I've learned a lesson, they aren't paying and hey, its experience

I wonder if he still thinks this way?

Did you do it, Dan? How did it go? Did you prove all us old cynics wrong? Have you got some photographs to show us?
I too would like know how it went, however did he ever say when it was? Has it even happened yet?
We he said there wedding on Friday...that would suggest it was to be within a week to me...
Given the amount of 'but you're just talking about professional results' when he was offered sound advice, I'd guess he discovered we were giving sound advice not 'professional tips' ;)

I'm sorry folks, I'd completely forgotten about this post, and TP didn't 'remind' me that there had been so many replies since! I did go ahead with the 'shoot' (if you can call it that!?) and it was a fairly 'different' experience on my part. The fact I didn't hear back from them after giving them the photos probably tells me their opinion, but I don't feel I should be chasing them given the circumstances, a thanks through gritted teeth wouldn't have hurt... It's not something I'd commit to again, but if nothing else, it was an experience! To set the scene, it was literally the Bride, the Groom, the Bride's father and brother, and a couple of friends, on the sand, for a reading from the celebrant... and that was it. And I was better dressed than the best man... So not really a beach wedding as such!

Anyway, shooting into the sun, (didn't really have much of an option!) was a nightmare! I wish I'd have had my newly purchased SB-700 put it that way! My favourite concept was the attached file, which wasn't executed very well, but still.

Like I said, it was an experience at least! Like all things, we learn and move on...

Thanks to those who showed interest :)

On the actual balancing of light you've actually done a decent job there IMO I like that, but the pose of the people is really not all that good, they should really have there arms around each other but without the huge gap, there should be no gap at all, also the wind has has a really unfortunate effect on her hair sadly making her look deformed :eek:

indeed - pretty much what matt said - having them facing you might have been problematic to light, but I'd have posed them side on in an embrace (it also might have been worth looking at a silohuette wil light haloing from the brides hair.

On the actual balancing of light you've actually done a decent job there IMO I like that, but the pose of the people is really not all that good, they should really have there arms around each other but without the huge gap, there should be no gap at all, also the wind has has a really unfortunate effect on her hair sadly making her look deformed :eek:

indeed - pretty much what matt said - having them facing you might have been problematic to light, but I'd have posed them side on in an embrace (it also might have been worth looking at a silohuette wil light haloing from the brides hair.

Thanks :) They were quite difficult to work with, really didn't seem close (particularly so given it was their wedding day!?) Silhouette shot would have worked well, and something I did think of after I'd left... hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Thanks :) They were quite difficult to work with, really didn't seem close (particularly so given it was their wedding day!?) Silhouette shot would have worked well, and something I did think of after I'd left... hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Obviously I cannot speak for the couple in question but some people like myself are not overly keen on public displays of affection and being photographed its a perfect storm for not getting people to pose :bang:

That's not what ermentrude told us ;)

Obviously I cannot speak for the couple in question but some people like myself are not overly keen on public displays of affection and being photographed its a perfect storm for not getting people to pose :banghead:
And some people pay people to marry them so they can get a visa. I guess if you are doing this it would be a good idea to get a $200 camera to help 'prove' the wedding took place.:whistle:

Back