help buying camera

Edit My Images
Yes
hi
just popped in for some expert help, a friend has asked me to recomend a digital slr camera in the £350-£450 range, but it MUST be able to crop shots in camera, as his girlfriend doesn't use the computer. Any ideas received with thanks..

nikon d50? or how about the 350d which you have? does that not do it?

i have a d80 ( slightly out of his price range) but im pretty sure that has the cropping option, i can minipulate the photo a far bit on the camera anyway, so im sure its croppable ;)

hth

Not being funny but why get a DSLR and not use the computer, she could easily pick up the basics (she prob thinks its harder than it actually is) and would get the most from her pics that way.
I would buy a D50 with kit lens to start her off with and a computer course.

As far as I'm aware, no camera will actually crop the jpg for printing in camera. It will crop the jpg for viewing, but the jpg remains the same in camera.

Easiest way to get 'crops' would be to buy one of the cheapest DSLRs, and a cheap long telephoto, such as the Canon 100 - 300, which can be had fairly cheaply. Use the zoom to 'crop' in camera. That'll do it:)

As far as I'm aware, no camera will actually crop the jpg for printing in camera. It will crop the jpg for viewing, but the jpg remains the same in camera.

Thats how I see it too..:cautious:

Don't those cheap kodak p+s with the docking printers do cropping and digital zoom on the fly to allow printing?

The cropping might be doable on a printer rather than in camera? the printers with the built in lcd displays and things, not sure if my mp800 allows it but it wouldn't suprise me.

£350 - £450 seems a lot of money to lay out on something that sounds as if it will be only half utilised...... Boy, am I negative today!?!?!?!?!

I understand that the D40 has a lot of in-camera options for those not wishing to use a computer. Maybe check that out?

I think this is what Joe was referring to:
Trim
This creates new cropped versions of images. No pixels are moved or changed in size. Trim removes unwanted pixels from the sides of an image and saves a smaller image

Doesn't sound too elaborate to me (?) I'd be looking at a printer with Crop capability or biting the bullet & getting a PC (laptops are £300 new!)

Paul ;)

thanks guys for all the comments, nice to hear em..
i too think she should learn to crop using the computer, oh well, its up to them now.

I think that would yield the best results for her and her pics at the end of the day

She could just do all her cropping at one of those printing booths like you get in boots or Jessops, etc. She can put her Card directly into them, you will be able to crop etc on them. Wont be able to save it tho I dont think but will be able to order a CD of the printed (and hence cropped) images.

However buying a DSLR and not buying a computer is a bit like buying a car without seat. OK crap analogy, but you know what I mean :)

However buying a DSLR and not buying a computer is a bit like buying a car without seat. OK crap analogy, but you know what I mean
Maybe buying a car without a steering wheel ;)
Paul

Has the bf actually shown her how easy it is to use the computer for this?!

Back