HELP !!! Camera phone - very high res needed

Can I ask why you need such a high pixel count. The sensor sizes in mobile phones are pretty small so the quality is going to be abysmal. You'll probably find you get better images from something like 8MP.

Yes, I believe it is flawed.

Just look at Full Frame vs Crop. Most FF cameras have lower MP than Crop but each of those pixels is larger. With that you get 'better/cleaner' images as there is far less noise generated.

Nokia N8. 12 mp. Or iphone 4s. Latter is 8mp but image quality is pretty good. I have the former.

There's that new 42MP Nokia, but not sure when that is coming out, but I'd also check files from an iPhone 4S as I have also heard good things about the image quality.

Sony Xperia S also has 12Mp & is a more modern phone than the N8.
The 42Mp Nokia does look impressive but iirc you don't actually get a 42Mp image - it pixel bins.

Last edited:
I wonder what the battery life is like on the xperia s? The N8 is a right clunker. Symbian is awful. The later 'improvements' are even worse than the original releases.

I think sony make the sensor for the 4s don't they? I assume the iphone5 will have the same 12mp as the xperia s.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note with 8MP camera. It sure as hell doesn't produce images which make the 8MP worthwhile - IMHO. Of course, I'm not in the least surprised, but I get sick of marketing willy waving trumping technical common sense. Here is a crop from the Note compared to a similar shot taken at the same time with my 7D, framed and resized to match. I won't embed as the image (a screen print) is a little large...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-.../IhgzqWaatC4/s1174/20111115_100149_100149.jpg

Regardless of the pixel count the resolution is garbage and as if that wasn't bad enough the JPEG compression and sharpening surely finishes the job.

I wish you luck in your search for a phone camera with sensor, lens and processing worthy of more megapixels than I have. 8 is already too many, at least in the Note, and at f/2.7 it's on the brink of hitting the diffraction limited aperture value. Add any more megapixels and you're very much on the path of diminishing returns.

p.s. As my screen print is on the large size (for display on some screens) please make sure your browser doesn't resize the file for display on your screen as that will add another variable.

Last edited:
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note with 8MP camera. It sure as hell doesn't produce images which make the 8MP worthwhile - IMHO. Of course, I'm not in the least surprised, but I get sick of marketing willy waving trumping technical common sense. Here is a crop from the Note compared to a similar shot taken at the same time with my 7D, framed and resized to match. I won't embed as the image (a screen print) is a little large...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-.../IhgzqWaatC4/s1174/20111115_100149_100149.jpg

Regardless of the pixel count the resolution is garbage and as if that wasn't bad enough the JPEG compression and sharpening surely finishes the job.

I wish you luck in your search for a phone camera with sensor, lens and processing worthy of more megapixels than I have. 8 is already too many, at least in the Note, and at f/2.7 it's on the brink of hitting the diffraction limited aperture value. Add any more megapixels and you're very much on the path of diminishing returns.

p.s. As my screen print is on the large size (for display on some screens) please make sure your browser doesn't resize the file for display on your screen as that will add another variable.

If you've just done that for my benefit then thank you muchly :love::love::love:

If it was a test from ages ago - then thank you muchly :love::love::love:

:LOL:

What I do like is that you included text in your image (the street name) as text forms a large part of my project here, and to that end the quality is fine here (y) despite your comments to the contrary

That some newer models are clearly better on images I've seen via the net, and I'm getting quite excited about the possibility now :D

Current leader is the Sony Xperia S as it has a very good 12mp camera it seems, and an amazing HD screen to show the pics on - apparently it also makes & receives phone calls and texts - which is all I need of it as a phone

DD

Glad it helps. It was actually an old comparison I made last year, so no effort involved this time round. :)

The Note does have a specific "Text" mode, which I've never used. I just took a sample shot in open shade using the text mode. The full unedited image can be found here....

EDIT : Job done so file now deleted.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is a joke Dave :clap: :D

I appreciate your cynicism :LOL:

But no - personal project of mine that needs a good camera-phone :)

DD

OK I take that back (y):bonk::bonk:

Thanks all (y)

I've just ordered the Sony Xperia S based on several reviews and comparisons, I realise its bettered by several on many fronts but none it seems on camera - which is my prime use (other than calls/texts)

Even better, I also have data this time so if I can ever think of a reason to use the internet from a phone at least I can, and the whole cost is less than my current one - happy bunny :)

DD

I just never dream of using a camera on a phone. THe HTC I have does seem to be ok but I just can't get used to the mince quality compared to my dSLRs.

I do quite fancy an iPhone though..... Due a replacement in three months time so will see what's around then :)

You need to be careful with camera phones and text, there has been a tenancy to take auto focus lenses out of phones of late as they require more depth and thus make the phones thicker. I'm assuming we're talking pictures of pages of text. Lack of auto focus leaves the phone unable to take crystal clear images close up... Perhaps the new nokia will be a good choice. From what I know it uses multiple pixels to create an average reading to reduce noise and file size thus very clear images at a reasonable mp equivalent.

Thanks all (y)

I've just ordered the Sony Xperia S based on several reviews and comparisons, I realise its bettered by several on many fronts but none it seems on camera - which is my prime use (other than calls/texts)

Even better, I also have data this time so if I can ever think of a reason to use the internet from a phone at least I can, and the whole cost is less than my current one - happy bunny :)

DD

I'm not sure what you mean by this, the Xperia S's camera is easily better particularly by the N8 mentioned in this thread as you would expect given the N8 has a comparatively massive sensor although the Xperia S also seems to suffer from heavy processing which obliterates fine detail.

John

Surely a good P&S (like Olly XZ1, Pana LX5) camera would fit in your pocket and can produce better images than any cameraphone.

Surely a good P&S (like Olly XZ1, Pana LX5) camera would fit in your pocket and can produce better images than any cameraphone.

I'm sure it could - but that's not the point for what I have in mind to do

And aside from anything else it'd need paying for, my phone is simply due for replacement and the new one's contract actually offers more and yet is cheaper too (y)

I carry my phone everywhere, I don't want to also carry a camera however small or good

Honestly guys - as far as I'm concerned this thread is now closed - thanks for your help & input :)

DD

Back