HELP!! Camera repair

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
This is my first post on here. I would like to introduce myself.

My names David I am an amateur surf and wildlife photographer. Just do it because I enjoy being out doors. Keen surfer myself and I walk my dog everywhere. My wife is also I pretty good photographer (better than me) she uses film more than digital though.

As you can tell by the title I am in need of help. My 7d won't autofocus any more. Although this isn't the end of the world and I can manually focus shooting watersports or any moving animals I can't auto focus quick enough. So I do need it. The problem is one of the contacts has become perminantly stuck in so is no longer making contact. I have spoken to canon rcc in elstree they quoted 60pph labour with the cost of the part and vat. Also contacted fixation they're around the same although it's a maximum of 120 for labour.

Does any body have any good but not as expensive places that can repair my 7d mk1. I live in Cardiff but I can post.

I should add aswell that I normally wouldn't scrimp on camera repairs but I have a baby due in June and every penny counts at this moment in time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Look forward to getting to know a few of you and sharing my work.

Regards
David

To help you put things in perspective David.

I sent my D3 for a service at Nikon in Kingston uT last year. Got a message to say that my bayonet mount want distorted...got a new one fitted and the camera serviced and still paid about £135.

Year before, my Pentax K5 and 100 macro got blown over by some wind. 100mm macro broke in half. Fixed for £80 by pentax's agents (Johnson's Photopia).

I like Fixations in Vauxhall but my other half who is a Canon user has used both Canon and Fixation for repair and has no complaints..I don't think your repair is going to break the bank to be honest.

Finally, CROESO!, welcome to the fold.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. May just go with canon and do it that way. I have tried the camera centre and they send the camera to rcc in elstree which is the one I would probably use.

Get in contact with Mikes Whitehead he's a top fella and does all my digital and film cameras. His web presence is quite basic but the quickest way is to drop him an email and he'll get back to you sharpish.

http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk

He's very reasonable but does tend to prioritise pro jobs so if you're in a hurry it's probably worth mentioning it to him.

Get in contact with Mikes Whitehead he's a top fella and does all my digital and film cameras. His web presence is quite basic but the quickest way is to drop him an email and he'll get back to you sharpish.

http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk

He's very reasonable but does tend to prioritise pro jobs so if you're in a hurry it's probably worth mentioning it to him.

^^WHS^^

Now then Nick, if David's in a rush and Miles prioritizes his 7D over my LF lens, what am i supposed to shoot with:thinking: ...You know I've got a very limited amount of kit to choose from :p

Amazing guys! Thanks for miles' website. Just got back to me. £60 plus p+p

Also I keep getting an error message saying that I can't post my last message as it's likely to be span or inappropriate. However there were no swear words in there or any thing like that.

Back