Help, Canon 17-55 or Sigma 30 & Tokina 11-16

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I recently upgraded my camera to a 60D and am now looking to purchase some new lenses so would really appreciate any help or advice you could offer. As a cheap start I got the Canon 50mm f/1.8 MKI.

My use is quite varied, I shoot quite a bit of video, (some indoor live music performances), the odd wedding (photo and video), like landscape photography (and would like to do more) , but also dabble in a bit of product photography, and a bit of kitesurfing. Not looking to upgrade to full frame anytime soon.

After scanning the forums for a while I whittled it down to the following but could do with some expert advice.

Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS
Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS

My question.... what's the best choice for image quality? what would you recommend? Should I go for

- Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

or something like

- Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 AT-X PRO DX
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
- and keep the Nifty Fifty.

Can I get rid of the nifty fifty if the answer is get the 17-55?

:help: thanks

So you're getting the 70-200 and its the other lens/lenses you're asking about right?

To be honest I think you have to make your own mind up based on the way you shoot. Personally I prefer to use primes so my setup is similar to your option with the Sigma 30mm. Good friends of mine use the 17-55 2.8 IS and they prefer that to my primes. They'd rather have the versatility of a zoom, I'd rather have the speed of a prime. Both are good options with very good image quality so it's a nice decision to have to make :)

I´ve got a 60D which I use for photographing Kite surfing,Kite boarding,and buggys along with Landscape. Using a Ef-s 18-55mm IS and also a Efs 55-250mm IS (both Canon). Image quality on both lenses is good,Think it´s all down to personal choice and I find the 2 zooms work for me rather than having a prime.

So you're getting the 70-200 and its the other lens/lenses you're asking about right?

To be honest I think you have to make your own mind up based on the way you shoot. Personally I prefer to use primes so my setup is similar to your option with the Sigma 30mm. Good friends of mine use the 17-55 2.8 IS and they prefer that to my primes. They'd rather have the versatility of a zoom, I'd rather have the speed of a prime. Both are good options with very good image quality so it's a nice decision to have to make :)

I'm with sixtoes... Its all about your personal preference.

I shoot with a Tamron 28-75 2.8, nifty fifty and 70-200 2.8l and mostly do family,candid and a bit of sport on my 60D.

I now find that the Tamron (although brilliant) is not wide enough on my 60D to do everything I want (I go to the occasional car show where wide is most useful). So I'm going to replace this with Canon's 17-55 2.8. Just make sure you get a filter on this straight the way if you do buy it to stop dust getting in...

Oh and regarding the nifty fifty... for the money it costs; try and hang onto it. Its the best bang for buck lens ever!

Try and have a go with some lens before you buy; some decisions you make could cost you a few quid...

Happy shopping

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, the more I read about, the more I want the 17-55.

Can anyone recommend a hire company outside of London where I could rent for a few days?

Thanks
Ben

So I'm going to replace this with Canon's 17-55 2.8. Just make sure you get a filter on this straight the way if you do buy it to stop dust getting in...

Cheers, I will do, had heard about that, is dust with the 17-55 really that big a problem? I noticed a lot of people on here are not the greatest advocates of lens filters! would this sway anyone considering the 17-55?

The Tokina 11-16 and Sigma 30 will give you many more shooting options and allow more creativity than the 17-55 IMHO. I have used both, with a 50mm and 70-200mm at weddings and loved the results.

Back