Help - canon 5d mark 4 or sony a7riii ?

@woof woof Who is this blogger?
I don't mean to answer for Alan, may be he knows someone else but I know Tony Northrup did a "test" and published his results on YouTube. I don't use Tony as a credible source lol.

Personally I have borrowed and used Fuji and it renders skin tones very nicely and accurately. This is where colours matter for me.

I did not use Fuji before so could not comment much but judging from what I read on the Internet and occasionally on Youtube, many said they have good colour so I guess that tells a lot about Fuji colour science.

Have you tried custom colour profile on your Sony?
Yes had one setup for A7RII, haven't got round to it for A7RIII. The camera defaults aren't bad tbh. But it can be better :)

TBH, anyone who chooses a camera on the basis of colour quality is on seriously shaky ground. The science is well understood by all camera manufacturers, but that has only a small influence on the final image. There are just too many other very signifcant technical factors always at play, and everything is overlaid with a heavy dose of subjectivity.

When it comes to camera manufacturers, there's a lot of plain brand bias, too - as Tony Northrup's video shows:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMfCDujQywY

Last edited:
Colour science is definitely one of those things that's blown out of proportion on the internet forumz in recent time to prop up ones own camera brand. No one actually talked about it or flagged it as massively 3-4 years back when Sony A7 actually had bad colours (it made people look like they had jaundice!). Shows its a new thing that people have found to poke at.

But there is no denying that they all do things differently and out of the camera I quite like look of canon and fuji over sony.

Colour science is definitely one of those things that's blown out of proportion on the internet forumz in recent time to prop up ones own camera brand. No one actually talked about it or flagged it as massively 3-4 years back when Sony A7 actually had bad colours (it made people look like they had jaundice!). Shows its a new thing that people have found to poke at.

But there is no denying that they all do things differently and out of the camera I quite like look of canon and fuji over sony.

Possibly... but it's not easy to know exactly. What are you comparing? Unless it is all cameras side by side, in neutral colour mode (not to mention all the other highly variable in-camera options), with the same lens (they do vary on colour) with the same subject in identical conditions, then you can never be sure and nobody does that test. If they did, they'd come to the same conclusions as Tony Northrup.

It's actually very difficult, but also largely irrelevant when you take the always changing light quality into account, then post processing variables and the inevitable subjectivity of it all. It's common for people to say on forums that 'Brand X is best' and they surely believe it, but it's a straw argument and actually nothing more than personal preference mixed with a healthy dose of brand bias.

Last edited:
Possibly... but it's not easy to know exactly. What are you comparing? Unless it is all cameras side by side, in neutral colour mode (not to mention all the other highly variable in-camera options), with the same lens (they do vary on colour) with the same subject in identical conditions, then you can never be sure and nobody does that test. If they did, they'd come to the same conclusions as Tony Northrup.

It's actually very difficult, but also largely irrelevant when you take the always changing light quality into account, then post processing variables and the inevitable subjectivity of it all. It's common for people to say on forums that 'Brand X is best' and they surely believe it, but it's a straw argument and actually nothing more than personal preference mixed with a healthy dose of brand bias.

You're being very polite Richard. It is IMO very largely b******s and the most interesting aspect in all this for me is how peoples opinions change when they know the brand names involved, actually interesting is the wrong word and maybe disappointing is more apt.

I'm not sure that I want to kick the A7 too much. I use some old lenses that can give a colour cast and that can be noticeable but with more neutral and more modern lenses no one in my little corner of the real world has complained about colours.

Last edited:
I don't mean to answer for Alan, may be he knows someone else but I know Tony Northrup did a "test" and published his results on YouTube. I don't use Tony as a credible source lol.

Personally I have borrowed and used Fuji and it renders skin tones very nicely and accurately. This is where colours matter for me.

Please do.

You're more erudite, politer and more charming than me.

Shut up you fuji and canon fanboy!

Back