help choosing macro lens for Nikon D40

Name
Jess Golden
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I want to get into macro photography and from what I hear it is very hard to manually focus when focusing so close to objects (especially when taking pictures of moving subjects) . So I want a macro lens that will auto focus. I have a Nikon D40. And From what I hear there are a small amount of macro lens that will auto focus with the D40. So I wanna know if anyone knows what lenses these are and what ones are the best. Money isn't an issue. Thank You :bonk:

Hello, I want to get into macro photography and from what I hear it is very hard to manually focus when focusing so close to objects (especially when taking pictures of moving subjects) . So I want a macro lens that will auto focus. I have a Nikon D40. And From what I hear there are a small amount of macro lens that will auto focus with the D40. So I wanna know if anyone knows what lenses these are and what ones are the best. Money isn't an issue. Thank You :bonk:

I'm no expert but from my experience & from what I have read here & elsewhere most people mainly rely on manual focus for macro as it is essential to get the focus spot on - if as you say you can afford any lens then the Nikon 105mmVR f2.8 would be on my wishlist ... Paul ;)

Manual focus is used when doing macro work, because auto focus is next to impossible.;) The easiest, and most effective way of focusing when doing macro work is to set the focus you need, then actually moving the camera backwards and forwards to finetune the focus. It takes a bit of practice and a steady hand to get right, but this is the most effective way. Auto focus is still usefull on a macro lens however, as the lens will double up as a very sharp prime lens for general use where auto focus is much more usefull.

I currently use a D40X(so essentially the same camera you use) with a Sigma 150mm f2.8. And I love the setup. So that would be my recomendation.:)

i'm in the same boat...i have the D40X and have been looking into dedicated macro lenses. The Sigma 105mm and 150mm seem to be very highly spoken of, although the 105mm will NOT autofocus with the D40(X). Although the 105mm is about £150 cheaper, from what i've seen, i'd save the extra and get the 150mm.

Manual focus is used when doing macro work, because auto focus is next to impossible.;)

In your opinion.

Don't just discount autofocus. I agree that manual focus does have it's moments but if you can get a lens that does both on your D40 then this would be the best option (in my opinion ;) )

Hey guys, I'm looking for a lens for my Nikon D40 that will let me take detailed close-up shots of miniature figures like Warhammer models and small collectible toys. I'm very new to photography and if I'm not mistaken a macro lens would do me best for this task, correct? I discovered this topic via Google and wanted to ask if the suggestions made for Jesseboy still apply today in regards to the Sigma 105 & 150 millimetre lenses being the best choice.

I wrote a short review of my 150mm here.

IMO, it's an excellent lens for insects in particular.

BUT!

Wait a couple of months, as they are about to release a new version with OS (sigma's IS/VR).

Hey guys, I'm looking for a lens for my Nikon D40 that will let me take detailed close-up shots of miniature figures like Warhammer models and small collectible toys. I'm very new to photography and if I'm not mistaken a macro lens would do me best for this task, correct? I discovered this topic via Google and wanted to ask if the suggestions made for Jesseboy still apply today in regards to the Sigma 105 & 150 millimetre lenses being the best choice.

What Len's do you currently have, Auto extension tubes may be a cheaper alternative to a dedicated macro lens and they dont have any glass in them they dont affect IQ.

I have something like a 18-55mm lens that came with my D40 and also a 55-150 or 200mm lens for long distance shots. Someone suggested the same thing but sounds confusing to me as I'm new to photography, they also recommended a light tent.

Back