HELP! Compact Camera for Concerts etc - what to choose???

Name
Kristy
Edit My Images
Yes
You know when you read and read and read reviews / specs etc, and then you end up with conficting information and so much going round in your head that you're so confused that you'd rather reach for a G&T ? Well, that's where I'm at! :LOL:

So, basically I've been asked by my sis to look for a new compact camera for her. She's got a 400d like me, and so isn't looking for a DSLR or bridge camera. She wants something for the many concerts / small gigs that she goes to, so it's got to be good at night / low light shots. I've done some reading around, and have been drawn to the Panasonic TZ8 - ive found it for £199 and read some good reviews. But then I go and read a review that says it's not great at night / low light - ARGHHHHHHHH :bang: !!

So - does anyone have any thoughts please???

Thanks!
Kristy

and now I'm reading that the TZ7 is better than the TZ8 ??

I've just bought a Canon S90, and am pretty impressed by the low light performance. It doesn't have a very long zoom though, which might limit its use if you're at the back of the concert.

(Don't know if that helps, or just makes things more confusing :shrug:)

I've a TZ6 - to all intents and purposes a TZ7 without the HD video. It's not brilliant at low light - but if the gig's got decent enough lighting you can get the odd half decent shot - the big zoom certainly helps.

From up in the gods - Sheffield City Hall

Long way back at Sheffield Arena

A bit Closer - Again at Sheffield City Hall

Back