HELP. Compare lenses?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
I do apologise for my ignorance but I am hoping to get some help. I am trying to work out which lens is better to use with NIKON d750.

I have recently upgraded from a d3500 hence the DX format. I am trying to decide which to sell. I cant really tell much difference personally so someone who may understand more could help.

Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1.4-5.6G ED VR

OR

SIGMA DG 70-300mm 1.4-5.6

I do know some things but I will just act as if I dont know anything and let someone who maybe understand better then myself explain it. Its easier to understand from someone rather then trying to compare manuals I believe.

As Always with this website thank you so much for all your help.

Kind Regards

Last edited:
Why would you use a crop sensor lens with a full frame camera?

Why would you use a crop sensor lens with a full frame camera?
As above I know the Nikon 55-200 is a DX lens, so you would have to look for a Nikon 70-300.

Out of those two, the sigma. The Nikon is designed for crop (dx) sensor cameras.

I suppose it comes down to cost, but if you buy a camera like the D750 it would be best to puchase a decent lens to make the most of it.
The Nikon DX lens is OK.
I would probably be looking at Tamron to keep the cost down. There are several newer ones (than the Sigma) with VR that may be available second hand.
I've been fair impressed with their 24-70 2.8.

As above, the Nikon lens is for DX bodies and will cause heavy vignetting on the D750, unless you use the D750 in DX mode but that only gives you 10mp rather than 24mp. Sell the Nikon and keep the Sigma would be my choice.

As above, the Nikon lens is for DX bodies and will cause heavy vignetting on the D750, unless you use the D750 in DX mode but that only gives you 10mp rather than 24mp. Sell the Nikon and keep the Sigma would be my choice.

This was already my plan but wanting to come on here to confirm and make sure I hadnt missed anything that could be a factor. Yes I switched to DX mode whilst using the Nikon to see if I could notice any difference.

What about the fact the Nikon has VR?

This was already my plan but wanting to come on here to confirm and make sure I hadnt missed anything that could be a factor. Yes I switched to DX mode whilst using the Nikon to see if I could notice any difference.

What about the fact the Nikon has VR?
Depends what you’re shooting and what shutter speed you’re using.

Not sure how much you’d get for your lenses but could you sell both and buy the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm VR?

For me, the DX lens would be a non-starter - DX mode is a pretty miserable experience on FX, like shooting through a letterbox, and you lose a lot of pixels. If you still have the D3500, keep it if you want to continue using this lens. The Sigma looks like a decent enough budget FX alternative, though reviews suggest it's not great wide open or zoomed past 200mm.

It will have to be sigma to begin with as you don't really have any choice anyway other than selling both, and then maybe swap that for something like tamron 70-210 f/4 or so.
On Canon you would have plenty more choice for affordable quality tele glass. It could be something to think about if you haven't made the purchase.

In any case LENS >>>> BODY.

Back