HELP ! - D300 BIG PROBLEM

Name
Charles
Edit My Images
No
Hi All
Can anybody tell me what the problem is ?
Was shooting away then bang err message and images have dark area in every shot.
Think it might be a mirror problem.
Tried mirror lock on / off / cleaning sensor / removing / reinserting mem card. although not a new one ... problem remains.

Any ideas ?
Here are couple of example shots.
fault1.jpg

fault2.jpg

Seeing those photos make me crap myself as I never registered mine in time to get the 3 year warranty :(

Good luck with getting it fixed fella and hope if doesn't cost too much!

Lookin at that second shot, whatever is causing the problem isn't there for the entire exposure. Lock the mirror up, take the lens off and have look and see if the af mirror is hanging down then try a shot and see if there is anything obvious..

Hi Guys
Thanks for quick reply.
daugirdas - tried shot without lens and everything seemed to move, although fault still persists.

GFWilliams - Thankfully still under guarantee.

Any ideas why it failed ?

Just a thought, have you tried a different lens?

I was going to suggest the same thing. But I've also got the feeling it could be the mirror. Have you tried taking a shot without a lens attached and see if the mirror mechanism is working ok? I don't think its the shutter as these are shaped like venetian blinds on the d300 iirc - well unless they are faulty.

Lookin at that second shot, whatever is causing the problem isn't there for the entire exposure. Lock the mirror up, take the lens off and have look and see if the af mirror is hanging down then try a shot and see if there is anything obvious..

Hi Flash
Tried that - couldn't see any problem, although unless the mirror was hanging off I wouldn't know what to look for.
Here's shot after above
fault3.jpg

I was going to suggest the same thing. But I've also got the feeling it could be the mirror. Have you tried taking a shot without a lens attached and see if the mirror mechanism is working ok? I don't think its the shutter as these are shaped like venetian blinds on the d300 iirc - well unless they are faulty.

If it was the shutter you'd think it would produce the same results as trying to use flash past the sync speed, ie a black bar straight across the top of the pic. The fact that it's at an angle and doesn't appear to be there all the time almost seems like something "bouncing" across the sensor, which is why I wondered if it was the af mirror. In reality I can't see how it could be the lens, but stranger things have happened....

Hi Flash
Tried that - couldn't see any problem, although unless the mirror was hanging off I wouldn't know what to look for.
Here's shot after above
fault3.jpg

I was wondering if the small af mirror might be bouncing when the main mirror is raising :shrug:

Cheers all.
Anyone know the procedure for getting fault fixed ?
Guess I'll have to dig out the D40 in the meantime.

It does look like one of the shutter 'slats' has come away at one end and is hanging down. Assuming it does this with more then one lens, I would definately get it off to Nikon asap.

That's a distinct possibility.

Take it into AJ Johnstone they're the local Nikon service centre, along with proof of purchase and everything should be fine...

Back