Help! d40 cashback problems

Edit My Images
No
i recently took the plunge and got a d40 new for 320 pounds. I ordered it before the 31st of august, so the cereal numbers will qualify for cashback. Nikon say all i need to do is register the lens and the body, and then i can enter my bank details in a confirmation email they send to me. The deadline for this is the 15th of september. Then i have to post of proof of purchase by the 30th to get cashback.

the problem is... nikon have emailed me, but there is nowhere on the email to enter my card details, and no mention of cashback. I double checked and i've definitely registed the right lens and body, with the correct cereal numbers.

whats up???

Help would be much appreciated. I go on my hols tmrw!!!

Never ever put any bank card details in an email its not secure.

I think they may want you to log into their site and do it online, do they provide a link.

they send you 2 emails, the first one is just to thank you for registering etc, then you get another about a week later with a link to register your cash back details, so hang on a while longer.

takes about 10 days for the second email to come through as I found, then read it very carefully as there is a link in it which I missed.

Allan

phew! ok, thanks guys. REALLY appreciate it. I'll give my email password to my rellies and they can hopefully sort it out while i'm again.

Thanks again scotland and antihero

phew! ok, thanks guys. REALLY appreciate it. I'll give my email password to my rellies and they can hopefully sort it out while i'm again.

Thanks again scotland and antihero

I had the same problem, I registered my details on the site that said you will receive an e-mail that you will need to respond to, I then received an e-mail that clearly said "Do not respond to this e-mail" I was like wah??? :LOL:

I rang Nikon on the number on their site and told them so they just sent me another e-mail that i popped my bank acc details on (no harm in doing that, the worst they can do with your details is pay you money!), a few days later I got another e-mail with confirmation it is being processed. But yes, its does take and age to get your money back apparently, I bought my camera in June and I'm still waiting for my money....

Same here, i bought my D40x in July, and i'm still waiting too. i've sent many emails to nikon and have been told its in process-its been that way for a month LOL

i hate being a pedant but you mean 'serial' rather than 'cereal'. unless you are posting letters about weetabix to nikon, which maybe why they haven't given you any cashback yet;)

You will get it...... eventually. Usually when you've forgotten about it and a cheque just plops onto the doormat! ;)

Unfortunately it is not true that no one can withdraw cash from your account just using your bank account name and account number. Its really quite simple.

Having obtained your account details the crook simply forges your signature on a bank transfer slip, offers forged ID or bribes a bank employee, takes the money and leaves you with the problem of proving it wasn't your signature, usually fairly straight forward as it will have probably presented in some third world country you never heard of, but time consuming, getting the money put back where it belongs, and doesn't have to happen just once.

The Nikon scheme has a loophole leaving it open to this type of scam, read on.

The first part of this scheme is secure, you are directed in the leaflets to a web site where you register. Small chance of a fake site unless you mistype the web address. After confirming your eligibility you are given instructions to print off a form, including your bank details and send it to Ireland paper post.

It now becomes clear that the scheme is not being administered by Nikon. (It is to be hoped that Nikon properly vetted the company doing this work, assuming this to be true, OK so far.)

Then after 10 weeks you get email saying your payment has been returned by the bank because of insufficient information and please resend all of your bank details to some PO Box in Tipperary, do this and all the security you had has GONE. Why, because it is impossible to be sure who really sent this email, PO boxes are easily obtained.

I have spoken to both the retailer and Nikon, about this second email but neither really understand the issue, but I for one am really dissappointed that Nikon have set up a scheme that is so slow, complex and insecure, the absolute opposite to their cameras!

Well it appears my snotty email back may have done the trick, I got a cheque in the post yesterday - after Nikon support said this wasn't possible too!!!

I had same problems, rang Nikon up again and they apologised for delay, saying they did not anticipate the demand !! :bonk:

Either way I had a cheque in the post (so why did I have to email off my bank details ?????

:thinking:

Wish Nikon had dealt with this better.

regards,

Taffytim

I got a cheque too in the post on Friday, i also am a bit worried as to why they requested our bank details. happy to have finally got the cheque though

Back