Help! Does anyone speak Marketing?

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
This is part of an email I received today:
I run the <well-known company> partner business for Europe. Our team’s role is to develop GTM engagement models with Partners based on providing the best end user customer experience while focusing on Partner business goals such as new customer acquisition, market expansion or customer loyalty. Our partners can eventually earn money under such cooperation.

Can anybody work out what it means? What is a GTM engagement model? Does this sound like a good thing? I mean, I got the bit at the end which implied that I can ...eventually... earn money though this, which sounds good, but I haven't got the foggiest idea what it involves me actually doing.

It might as well be Martian for all the sense it makes to me.

GTM = Go To Market ... as usual marketers are trying to sound far too clever imo.

It depends on the rest of the email you've had, but it sounds like it might be re-seller "opportunities" - I've been getting a few of these of late. I generally delete/ignore as it doesn't fit with my business model.

Clear English is easy. If they cannot manage (or don't want to manage) clear English they probably cannot manage much else.

Last edited:
You need to pro-actively engage with your core strategies and prioritise customer-focussed synergy savings, not forgetting to bulletpoint the low-hanging fruit for a win-win solution.

<note to self, I must really stop reading our chairmans monthly "information" blog>

You need a blue-skies strategy for leveraging your business in the cloud. I'm heading back to the farm to revolutionise outside the box.

I'm not doing anything until I can plant a flag and get all my ducks in a row

Sod all that.... I am going back to Blue Sky Thinking......

At times like this I tend to throw a tennis ball in the air & see which side it lands on :)

Thanks for the links. I need to know this stuff for work.
I particularly liked this one:
"Sounds to me like you have started your pudding before you have finished your dinner"

Last edited:
Well it certainly makes me want to shoot... someone.

Tomorrow I have a 9am appointment with someone who swims in this stuff, and it makes me feel icky.
1464722054795.jpg

So if GTM is Go To Market, what is a "GTM engagement model"? Anybody know? Is it something I'm likely to have already, even if I don't call it that? Or is it something that I should have, and this company is offering to help me develop?

Maybe I should just write back to him and ask whether he could explain in English. It might be fun to try to keep the dialogue going for as long as possible, like those famous efforts where people have engaged with Nigerian scammers who need help in extracting money from their country.....

I think they're trying to tell you that they can print a nice flyer with your business' name on it.

This kind of thing really should have run its course.

Any 'marketing' company that can't communicate clearly with its potential customers clearly couldn't communicate 'my message' to my potential customers.

They might think they're being smart, but surely they're being the opposite.

Some people fall for it, and are impressed. It works. So they'll keep going. Tragically.

Meh, they can't be much cop as a company, they haven't included their mission statement.

Back