Help! Downsizing opinions please?

I based it on the Sonys in Body IS claiming it works to the equivalent of 2 stops, meaning the F4 is Stabilised. I've used both the Nikon D800 and the 24/70 2.8, a Canon 6D 24/70 2.8 and the Sony A7II 24/70 F4.
The real work differences isn't a great deal and images handheld on the Sony are just as good at F4.
But you're still not comparing the same thing regardless of how good Sony's IBIS is. Sony's IBIS only helps with camera shake, what if you're taking a moving subject and so want to keep shutter speed up, such as people at a dimly lit wedding. Could be the difference between using ISO 6400 and ISO 12800. Plus there's the DOF.

OP is there a particular reason it must be FF?

For me there's no significant weight saving swapping to the D750, nor swapping to the Sony with the equivalent lenses to what you have now.

I realise there isn't much of a weight saving between a D800 and a 750 however between an 800 and an A7 it's almost half of the weight!

I like full frame and its advantages. I've had crop and don't want to go back to it. Yes if I really wanted to save size and weight on a DSLR I could do that. They always seem to have a cheaper plastic build quality too which doesn't suit me. I also like to be able to pick a lens and think yes it's 24mm and not then having to work out what's going to be right on a crop, I know you'd get used to it but you get my gist hopefully

But you're still not comparing the same thing regardless of how good Sony's IBIS is. Sony's IBIS only helps with camera shake, what if you're taking a moving subject and so want to keep shutter speed up, such as people at a dimly lit wedding. Could be the difference between using ISO 6400 and ISO 12800. Plus there's the DOF.

This is one of the reasons why I don't worry too much about IS as even with the sort of environmental/landscape stuff I photograph being able to shoot at 1/15 or whatever is of next to zero use as the world moves. I'm sure there are people and situations that benefit from IS but I don't think I'm included all that often and having thought about it I'm not that bothered and if a camera or lens comes with it fine but if not I'm not going to lay awake at night worrying about it.

I realise there isn't much of a weight saving between a D800 and a 750 however between an 800 and an A7 it's almost half of the weight!

I like full frame and its advantages. I've had crop and don't want to go back to it. Yes if I really wanted to save size and weight on a DSLR I could do that. They always seem to have a cheaper plastic build quality too which doesn't suit me. I also like to be able to pick a lens and think yes it's 24mm and not then having to work out what's going to be right on a crop, I know you'd get used to it but you get my gist hopefully

I know it may be irrational, silly even, but I think like that too and did I mention the joy of using old manual lenses on an A7? :D

This week I've had the opportunity to take my A7 and a MFT camera and shoot the same subject with each and although in isolation the MFT shots are good and even excellent the A7 shots are more good and more excellent :D if you go looking for the extra you can get. So yes, I can see why some insist on "FF."

Last edited:
Pentax K1. Rave reviews. Highly regarded, Well priced. Great IQ. Mountain of legacy FF glass.

No brainer really.

Yep the A7II is only 600 g vs 1000g of the D800 so you would notice that to be fair. However, what would the balance be like with the 24-70mm f2.8 on?

TBH when a lens is on the body I don't worry about effective focal length as I use the right lens for the job. That being said, it does take some getting used to if you use the same lenses on two different systems ie crop vs FF as I've recently found out :LOL:

Last edited:
Back