Help! Dust in my Canon 24-105 L

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello guys,

When I check my last batch of photos, I see a big dot on every photo at the same position. So I tried to do the cleaning routine by using the camera automatic cleaning and manual cleaning with a blower but it didn't seem to get rid of it. Then I put on my 50mm f/1.8, the spot's instantly gone. When I looked through my 24-105 L, I can see a couple of big dust stuck on the inner lens.

I bought my camera kit in Hong Kong when I went back home for Christmas (now I'm in the uk working) and I think the warranty is regional. What are my options? Sending it to UK Canon to get it fix? How much would that cost?

Cheers,

Harry

As far as i am aware Lenses carry an international warranty. Bodies are regional.

You should be able to get it repaired for free under warranty if you have proof of purchase.

If you can't see this in pictures, then a couple of spots of dust in the lens are unlikely to show up either :nuts:

My money's on the bunnies being on your sensor, time for a go with an Arctic Butterfly or a wet clean....

There's a page somewhere online with a pic of a lens with a smashed front element, yet the shots taken through the broken lens were only slightly soft, you couldn't see the huge cracks in the glass. If they don't show up then a couple of specks of dust won't either....

Front element imperfections slightly reduce contrast and sharpness

Rear element is far more critical (projects the final image on the sensor) so I could see the point.

If you can't see this in pictures, then a couple of spots of dust in the lens are unlikely to show up either :nuts:

My money's on the bunnies being on your sensor, time for a go with an Arctic Butterfly or a wet clean....

Holy crap, that's insane!

Thanks for everyone's responses.

What is the commmon safest yet efficient way to clean the sensor? I am a bit reluctant to do this...

Thanks for everyone's responses.

What is the commmon safest yet efficient way to clean the sensor? I am a bit reluctant to do this...

Rocket blower to try and blow the dust out with a blast of air. If its really stubborn you can use Invisbledust products like the Arctic butterfly. (statically charged brush the removed dust - very fine and will not damage sensor)

Rocket blower to try and blow the dust out with a blast of air. If its really stubborn you can use Invisbledust products like the Arctic butterfly. (statically charged brush the removed dust - very fine and will not damage sensor)

Thanks Kaben! Have you tried that on your 5D2 yet? Where did you get yoru Arctic butterfly?

Cheers!

Thanks Kaben! Have you tried that on your 5D2 yet? Where did you get yoru Arctic butterfly?

Cheers!

I mainly just hold the camera upside and use the Rocket blower - works 99% of the time. Not really had to deal with "Welded" dust too many times before. When i have done however, i used my friends Arctic butterfly (AB724 i believe?) and it works wonders.

I was very scared to go anywhere near the sensor at first, buts its not so bad. Even if you did do something wrong you wouldn't actually scratch the sensor itself - there is a very thin IR filter on top of the sensor. It would still cost money to get fixed, but a damn sight cheaper than a sensor itself!

Hi, If you want to meet up in oulton park any time, I can bring along my artic butterfly and give it a go, Used it on all my cameras with no problems. Ric. We met on the Liverpool meet by the way.

Thanks guys. I will need to get myself an arctic butterfly then... is there any difference between the 700, 724 and 800? their prices vary from £50 to over £100...

The 800 kit has a 724 in it.

The 724 spins at a faster spped than teh 700 so builds up a bigger charge. I think it also has a bigger brush surface.

I would go for the 724 with the light on it.

Would be nice, but I doubt, as it is not guaranteed to be 100% dustproof, is it? It depends a lot in what conditions the gear was stored etc. Different if the dust was there when you bought new. Still you can try, I would be glad to hear they cleaned it under warranty.

Really, I didn't know that! one to keep in mind.

most of the weather sealed lenses say that you need a UV filter to complete the sealing. (or any kind of filter you wish to use as long as it is circular screw on)

Going slightly off-topic here... Does it matter if rain gets on the hot-shoe mount? As in, using my 50D in the rain without a flash attached?

Going slightly off-topic here... Does it matter if rain gets on the hot-shoe mount? As in, using my 50D in the rain without a flash attached?

no, but i would give it a wipe before putting a flash or radio trigger on it.

You dont want the water shorting out the contacts

Back