HELP! EOS 400D Autofocus not working?

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon 400D outfit that I am very happy with which is about 3 years old. Up to fairly recently all has been well but I have now noticed that the autofocus on the Tamron 70-300 Zoom lens has stopped working and I have to use the manual focus when I use this lens. However when I fit the Canon EFS 18-55 lens the autofocus works fine.
I am not any sort of an expert on this but it "suggests" to me that as all is well with the EFS 18-55 lens then the fault lies in my Tamron 70-300 lens rather than in the camera body.
Has anyone with a little more knowledge experienced this and if so could they confirm my suspicions that it is the lens rather than the camera body that is at fault.

Youve not switched AF have you on the Tamron and try cleaning the connection terminals on the lens

With the switch set to AF when I go to take any photo the lens will just focus out to either maximum focus or minimum focus.
I have tried cleaning the contacts several times with an alcohol based cleaning fluid.

Last edited:
Can you try the lens on a different camera, it does sound like the lens though as your others working OK

Unfortunately to do that I would need to find another EOS DSLR owner local to me or go to a camera shop.

Back