Help EOS 40D Flash problem!!!!! (Now Resolved).

Name
David Steen
Edit My Images
Yes
The internal flash on my 40D will not work. It does not pop up when selected in any of the modes. When I select flash control in the menu it says that I have an external flash fitted. Even though i have not. The external flash does work when fitted. Anyone had similar problems and how did you resolve it?

I vaguely rememeber someone having a similar problem on a different forum. I think the fix was to check out the hotshoe contacts, as there was a contact sticking or something. My memorie's very hazy though, sorry!

Thanks for the info. Not sure how to checkout the contacts though.

It will most likely be the switch which detects the external flash stuck down. The switch is situated under one of the hotshoe runners (not sure which side).

I am asuming that you have checked to see if the internal flash has not been switched off in your menu?

It will most likely be the switch which detects the external flash stuck down. The switch is situated under one of the hotshoe runners (not sure which side).

It's on the right when looking from the back of the body.

Bob

It's almost certainly the little strip contact under the hotshoe runner stuck down. While the camera is turned off give it a little lift with a penknife to see if it pops back up.

Thanks for the help guys. I have had a look under the shoe and there is nothing protruding through the small hole on the right. I guess I will have to take the plate off via the 4 small screws?

same problem on a number of Canon cameras...

sticking microswiches under hotshoe...

fix details here (i know it's for old eos film cameras, but still same basis) - just loosen the 4 little screws and jer, jer, jiggle it a bit!

Clearer illustrations (on eos 20D) here... - though this majors on repairing a broken microswich, but the pictures are Way easier to follow on here;)

This problem has now been resolved.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Found the plastic plunger, on the right hand side, looking forward, was jammed under the hot shoe.
Removed hot shoe and freed up the plunger.
Re assembled with loctite.
Flash Now works satis.

This problem has now been resolved.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Found the plastic plunger, on the right hand side, looking forward, was jammed under the hot shoe.
Removed hot shoe and freed up the plunger.
Re assembled with loctite.
Flash Now works satis.

:woot::woot::woot: excellent!

Nice one. Interesting to know.

Back