HELP! err 02 on two Transcend 400x CF cards

Edit My Images
No
Hi Folks, need a little help. I'm heading off to the Sahara and Atlas Mountains in a couple of days with my Canon 5D Mk2. I've been buying everything I need, including memory. I bought a 32GB Transcend Premium 400x CF card off a major seller on Amazon, thought it was pretty good and a couple of weeks later bought another off Amazon themselves. Whilst I had previously only been shooting and viewing stuff on the camera itself tonight I tried to download them to my MacBook to test properly. Well, I've discovered that neither of these cards can transfer any movies I've shot on them! I get an 'err 02' external media defect! I seem to be able to get photos off them, but not video. Both cards behave exactly the same. I've tried different import software such as Lightroom, Image Capture, etc. I've tried using the camera as the host, and also using a USB CF adaptor - no difference. To eliminate the camera as defective I went back to my older 16GB Kingston Ultimate 266x, and this shot and transferred video just fine. In fact it's never let me down.

I think I've eliminated every possible variable and everything points to the Transcend cards being the culprit. Anyone had this experience? It doesn't seem possible since these cards are very highly regarded...

My second question is a dilemma: given that I'm going on a trip and have no more time to order replacements, would it still be safe to use these???? I mean, I can shoot video, and view it on the camera, I just can't transfer it off. I'm in a real bind now. Are these incompatible with the 5D?

Not much help but I use Transcend cards with my 5d2 so doubt they are incompatible..
Have you got another card reader to try them with, or can you connect the camera directly to the mac and see if you can transfer the images that way ?

Good luck with sorting it and have a wonderful trip !

Are the cards full by any chance (ie you can't take any more shots?). I had an issue recently where I couldn't even read my card properly until I had removed some images.

Are the cards full by any chance (ie you can't take any more shots?). I had an issue recently where I couldn't even read my card properly until I had removed some images.

Unfortunately not. I broke open the packaging last night, formatted in-camera, and shot 1GB of video, leaving the remaining 30GB free. The stuff plays back fine, just can't transfer is out using either camera or USB adapter. Encounter an err 02.

Not much help but I use Transcend cards with my 5d2 so doubt they are incompatible..
Have you got another card reader to try them with, or can you connect the camera directly to the mac and see if you can transfer the images that way ?

Good luck with sorting it and have a wonderful trip !

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately I've only got one camera and one card reader. Both fail to transfer the videos to my Mac and produce an err 02. Bizzarre!

I have an old ixus 400. Maybe I'll put the cards in there to test..?

Success! I had firmware v2.1.1 installed and there is a new version 2.1.2 available which specifically addresses issues with newer large capacity Lexar CF cards. Even though Transcend is not mentioned, it may help in this regard.

I've just now successfully shot and transferred 3 videos! This isn't yet conclusive as I did manage to transfer 1 tiny video yesterday too on the older firmware, but that was just 1 second long, so I'm sure it's a file size issue.

Sound like an file size issue,maybe the update will fix this.

But saying that,if I was going on a trip I wouldn't want to take the risk,I would take some cards that I knew worked,have you any smaller size cards ?

:)

Just my my older 16GB Kingston Ultimate 266x, which works well, but isn't enough for a whole week. I think I should be fine now with the update, but there is still an uncertainty!

Just my my older 16GB Kingston Ultimate 266x, which works well, but isn't enough for a whole week. I think I should be fine now with the update, but there is still an uncertainty!

If as you say their a bit of uncertainty,I would try and grabs some cards before you go,maybe you can pickup some at the airport :)

I wish I'd bought a lot more of those Kingstons now. Unfortunately the problem definitely remains with the new Transcends. None of the video I've just shot can be transferred to the computer. I just got lucky with the two I filmed after the firmware upgrade. Now it's playing up again and I'm getting the err 02 issue :(

Unfortunately I don't have limitless funds and can't splash out on cards at the airport, at their rates. Particularly because I'll be in the same position and won't know if they'll work or not. The Transcend one is supposed to work, but it doesn't.

So you are probably spending a couple of thousand on a holiday and yet worry about spending less than a hundred to get a decent card to record that same holiday, it will be cheaper than having to go again to get the missed shots!

Back