Help finding old (classic) camera shops in London

Edit My Images
No
Hi!

I'm a young spanish collector, fan of almost all cameras between the 30s and the 60s. My partner is flying to London tomorrow morning, and she'd like to buy a camera or two for my collection. Obviously, we don't know any collection shop there, and google hasn't help us.

Do you know any shop? Address would help a lot, so we could find it via google.maps or something.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I forgot it. I don't know if it will help, but I'm specially looking for all Ensign Full-vues, don't know if there's an specialized shop or something.

Marti

In London prices are really high; except for some shops who deal with vintages and do good prices.

They all send by post; but dont always carry a big stock.

Look at mwclassic for example.

I will look up and send you some more links for other dealer

Martí A.;2777677 said:
EDIT: I forgot it. I don't know if it will help, but I'm specially looking for all Ensign Full-vues, don't know if there's an specialized shop or something.

You might try Mr Cad in Croydon (south London suburb - about 15 minutes by train from the centre of town). They seem to have quite a few Ensigns in stock at the moment.

http://www.mrcad.co.uk/

All the good shops have disappeared.

Not a fan of MRCad (how many times has that place been declared bankrupt?)

Nick.

There are a few near the British Museum, including one with almost every Leica you can imagine!

Thanks a lot for all your replies! I'll tell my partner to take a look at all these shops.

EDIT: By the way, a spanish partner told me about "Charity Shops", where I could easily find cameras like Ensign Ful-Vues or similar. What (and where) are these Charity Shops? He didn't know how to explain it.

Thanks!

We have a lot of shops which are run on behalf of their respective charities, so as an example here's some of the British Heart Foundations shops in London.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=bhf+shops+london

They tend to get donated things by members of the public and then they sell the items on to make money for their charity through these shops. They sell a lot of different things, mainly clothes, but they sell anything that they are given.

So find a charity and do a search and you'll find their shops.

Hope that helps a little regards

Pepper.

Martí A.;2794051 said:
Thanks a lot for all your replies! I'll tell my partner to take a look at all these shops.

EDIT: By the way, a spanish partner told me about "Charity Shops", where I could easily find cameras like Ensign Ful-Vues or similar. What (and where) are these Charity Shops? He didn't know how to explain it.

Thanks!

I don't know about others experience but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find cameras in charity shops. You may find cheap generic plastic 35mm point and shoot cameras but a lot of the more interesting stock seems to sold by the charities on ebay. This may just be a London thing but it's been a long time since I've seen anything worth buying.

I don't know about others experience but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find cameras in charity shops. You may find cheap generic plastic 35mm point and shoot cameras but a lot of the more interesting stock seems to sold by the charities on ebay. This may just be a London thing but it's been a long time since I've seen anything worth buying.

Agreed....when I see my mother I take her out shopping and she also likes browsing thru charity shops, and in 2 years have never seen anything other than cheap P&Ss.
Mind you I have picked up some nice cotton shirts for £1 ea and leather jackets for £4 ;)

Quality cameras coming into the larger charity chains seem to go to central clearing and are ebay'ed or sold to tame dealers. The same happens with interesting books.
A few slip through and little charities haven't got the expertise to deal with collectables but when I look it's mostly landfill point and shoot.

i find charities in the suburbs are the best for camera gear, you just have to wade through the p&s crap.

i find charities in the suburbs are the best for camera gear, you just have to wade through the p&s crap.

TBH, I can't remember the last time I saw even a P&S camera in a charity shop and I go in quite often looking for CDs.

edit: actually, I do - it was when I was on holiday in Pickering in North Yorkshire about a year ago. Round London, though, I'm still drawing a blank.

maybe my opinion is influenced by one experience, where I picked up 3 working film slrs with lens in one shop in one day! only thing they have had in since is a crappy ricoh 500g

****Help finding old (classic) camera shops in London***

The markets at Portobella and Goldbourne roads (Notting hill) might be worth a look, drove passed a stall in Goldbourne rd and he seemed to have a nice collection of cameras.......but Caveat Emptor

:nono::nono::nono:

They're great little cameras :D

really? would you say its worth more than £3?

on a side note, I have one for sale that I have not advertised yet. It's yours for £35 :D

really? would you say its worth more than £3?

Definitely, what makes you say it's crap?

on a side note, I have one for sale that I have not advertised yet. It's yours for £35 :D

Not a hope in hell, I like my cameras like I like my women, simple and cheap:LOL:

Definitely, what makes you say it's crap?

Not a hope in hell, I like my cameras like I like my women, simple and cheap:LOL:

no reason, it just looked flimsy and plasticky. I may buy it just to stick it on fleabay!

Back