Help for someone selling quite a collection

Edit My Images
No
Hi

I’m not trying to sell anything here, I’m just after a bit of advice, or at least a friend of mine is. My friends husband was a bit of a collector of mainly Nikon cameras (FM3s etc) but he also has what appears to be a mint Hasselblad 503CW (not sure what lens) and other kit. All of the equipment is in fine condition. Sadly he is in need of fulltime care following a diagnosis of dementia. His wife is looking to sell the cameras to raise money to fund that care.

She’s in Guildford and I wondered if anyone knew the best way to sell the items to raise the most. She knows very little of the value (I have a small idea) and she’s worried about being ripped off etc.

I think there are about 10-15 cameras all told inc the Hassie, and, as I say, they’re all in superb condition.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Jon

Hi Jon,

If you can't go through and thoroughly test each item yourself it could be worth contacting Ffordes. They sell equipment on commission and will check all equipment for you. By the time you factor in Ebay fees and PayPal fees (plus the possibility of not listing something correctly) it might be easier and just as profitable to use them.

I think that some other members on here have used them to do just that. Hopefully they will be able to tell us whether it's a worthwhile option.

There's always the possibility of getting some help with valuations on here and listing them in the Film & Conventional classifieds on here as well.

Mat.
Hi

I’m not trying to sell anything here, I’m just after a bit of advice, or at least a friend of mine is. My friends husband was a bit of a collector of mainly Nikon cameras (FM3s etc) but he also has what appears to be a mint Hasselblad 503CW (not sure what lens) and other kit. All of the equipment is in fine condition. Sadly he is in need of fulltime care following a diagnosis of dementia. His wife is looking to sell the cameras to raise money to fund that care.

She’s in Guildford and I wondered if anyone knew the best way to sell the items to raise the most. She knows very little of the value (I have a small idea) and she’s worried about being ripped off etc.

I think there are about 10-15 cameras all told inc the Hassie, and, as I say, they’re all in superb condition.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Jon

I was going to suggest someone like Ffordes too. Unless you or someone who know has the knowledge and time to know what they're looking at can test the cameras, list on ebay, sort out packaging and postage etc I would have thought that would be the best bet.

You would likely get more money selling yourself than taking everything to Ffordes, but the hassle is gone which is probably more important in that situation.

I'd also say Ffordes or WYCameras. Ffordes offer commission sales or outright purchase of the items. You get more the first way but it can come in dribs and drabs.

If she sends a list to either of them they should send an indicative price.

It's far better than dealing with the chancers on fleabay.

Agree with others on here, Ffordes is probably your best best. If you wanted to post an exact list the good folk on here will have a good idea what most are likely to fetch, I certainly wouldn't risk such items on ebay without having the experience and good positive feedback as a seller. Ffordes and WY cameras are both decent companies and would be well worth a call for a chat about the best way to proceed at least.

That’s great, thanks everyone, Ffordes it is then. As you say, we could probably make more privately but I think this is a far easier solution.

I’ll pass it on.

Jon

The problem with dealers, in my experience, is that they will suck air in through their teeth when telling you how much something is worth. They will nit-pick every flaw and drop the price down for each one, telling you it will cost X to rectify this and Y to rectify that...then you'll see the item listed in exactly the state you sold it, for double what you received!

Personally, I'd rather take my chances on eBay where the value of everything is dictated by the market. I've had no issues with buyers on eBay.

I used Ffordes to sell my Leitz Minolta CL and 40/2 lens; it was relatively quick and painless, except for the 25% commission (this was after offering on here, and then selling the lens on fleabay, to have it returned at my expense because the buyer claimed a tiny speck on the rear element, invisible to me). You have to pay postage up to them, too. Also, I don't quite remember the details, but I think there was some potential liability in case of a warranty claim.

Why not ask the lady for a list and offer them on this forum for cameraholics to buy ?
I would be interested in a F3 / FM3 and maybe the Hasselblad 503CW, price dependant

Why not ask the lady for a list and offer them on this forum for cameraholics to buy ?
I would be interested in a F3 / FM3 and maybe the Hasselblad 503CW, price dependant
probably because they'll need to be a proper member of the forum first before listing.
Though OP could probably do on their behalf.

I was going to say, it could sell for a decent price on here.

@Jon Kincaid - Also I have used Peter Walnes many many times in the past. Really great dealing with him. His website is not the greatest - https://secure.peterwalnes.com/
But drop him an email or give him a call. Very polite and a nice person to deal with. Also he is a one man shop.

Last edited:
You need to give a price when you list an item on here, and I'm guessing the hard part is actually putting a value on each item. Certainly might be worth posting the list and asking for prices, though?

Park cameras are trading in used film equipment again.
There is a store in London and Burgess hill.

There is a London camera exchange in Guildford, but don’t know how good the money is.

Just want to reiterate this because, no postage/travel costs, selling hassle and no travelling to London with up to 15 cameras.

Just want to reiterate this because, no postage/travel costs, selling hassle and no travelling to London with up to 15 cameras.

From my experience at least, their trade in or second hand prices are really not competitive, but might be worth it for the simplicity.

There's also Camera World that sell and buy secondhand either outright or on a commission basis.

Back