Help I'm an introvert.

I stopped asking this question years ago. I’m taking it for granted now that a given percentage of people who pick up a camera assume that the obvious outcome is to make money with it.

The obvious fact of course is that ‘running a business’ and ‘taking photographs’ is a Venn diagram with such a slim overlap that from a distance the sphere’s would appear to not touch. But some people don’t see it that way

I found this out the hard way, at one point I had £10K worth of gear and thought this was all I needed to make a bundle! Had the website, contacts, renewed confidence, experience [enough at least] support etc ... Did a few weddings and was like "I'm out, F that! engineering is easier!" :LOL:

Well said @Bollygum
I'm told i could make a living from it too, but i have no desire to do the type of photography that it takes to get paid. I also do not think i'm good enough.
Once money is involved it brings another set of worries and problems.

Well said @Bollygum
I'm told i could make a living from it too, but i have no desire to do the type of photography that it takes to get paid. I also do not think i'm good enough.
I'm probably not good enough either :) I just manage by taking things that few other people bother with, and - I think the passion shows through. I see it as a bit like being a writer. Some writers make it because they write beautiful prose, but most have to really say something. I think photography is the same. Being a good photographer is only a small part of it, having something to say is more important. To move into types of photography that you have little interest in, just for money, makes absolutely no sense to me. Unless you are just interested in the money and not the photography

I found this out the hard way, at one point I had £10K worth of gear and thought this was all I needed to make a bundle! Had the website, contacts, renewed confidence, experience [enough at least] support etc ... Did a few weddings and was like "I'm out, F that! engineering is easier!" :LOL:

With most professional photography, the actual picture taking is the easy bit.

Well said @Bollygum
I made a decision when I was young never to try to become a professional photographer, the reason was that I liked cameras and photography too much. If I'd tried to make a living from it then I felt it would have taken the freedom and joy out of it. I use photography as a 'shut off' from work (and occasionally life!), and I never want to risk spoiling that... otherwise I'd have to find another pastime, like golf or something terrible like that! :D

With most professional photography, the actual picture taking is the easy bit.

Yup, I had no problems there and the couples were delighted with the results, wedding album etc each time, but the stress! I was solo, and trying to be everywhere at once, I do morning prep to last dance and beyond each time, I was making promises before I knew what I could handle. I wouldn't ever do it again without an assistant ... or two!

I know I'm dredging up an old thread, but just wanted to say this is the most informative reads I've had in a long time! Thought it worth bumping up to the top in case others had missed it.

Do you think this sort of language is in any way helpful to someone who is lacking in confidence?
In context, he said he'd found it really helpful.
Thanks for the info Phil. I'm definitely taking what you say onboard

Of course the aggressive way you put it, it looks different ;)
And you ignored this unhelpful bit too:
Andy, feel free to ring me for a chat,
Sad world you live in where you've decided I'm the bad guy, and you just spread negativity instead of being helpful ;)

I was being totally practical. I overcame the same issues, and I've offered genuine support, OTOH... You turned up well after the event and threw your handbag at me.
Nice work :D

Sorry, the wink smiley just doesn't cut it with me at all. I'm not the most confident person myself and if someone had said that to me, even in the context of being "helpful", I'd have been backing into a corner.

But still, you know best.
You chose to pick one negative remark out of hundreds of helpful words - frankly it says more about you than id does about me Jeremy. Like I said, the OP was grateful for the advice offered.

Now ask yourself - who is this helping? Do you genuinely care about the OP's feelings, or are you just after scoring some internet points to make you feel better about life?

I'm sure everyone would be more interested in anything productive you've got to offer rather than bitching at me.

Back