Help! I'm stuck :(

Tori

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tori
Edit My Images
Yes
I would like to put this couple on a different background. I like the picture, but clearly the background is bad. I tried to follow an online guide, but it's not working. Could somebody please help? Thank you!

IMG_7194.jpg

Tori - just to be a real PITA, why would you want to change the backdrop?

My reason for asking is that you have a perfectly good semi-environmental portrait and, with the lighting that you've got, shifting them on to something else stands the chance of looking quite false unless it's done very well.

I have lightroom and cs5. Mark, yes, I see what you mean, but the background is just messy I think?

Hi Tori
You could mask out the background and use fade it in hue/saturation, this saves a lot of precise cutting out

Tori1.jpg

or change the background completely, I happened to have a water lily open that I am working on so just faded it so it does not overpower them using same hue/saturation reduction as shown

Tori2.jpg

Does this help at all?

PS Top layer was a curves layer just to lighten the couple a bit

Last edited:
Eek, I've never done this before. If you could give me a bit of a run down as to how you did I would be really, really grateful! Thanks x

Tori - just to be a real PITA, why would you want to change the backdrop?

My reason for asking is that you have a perfectly good semi-environmental portrait and, with the lighting that you've got, shifting them on to something else stands the chance of looking quite false unless it's done very well.

I have to agree... I quite like what christine did to wash out the background. Here's the same with a new blank canvas added. What I think is the biggest issue here is the area of the ladies shoulder which needs some extensive work to get looking right.

IMG_7194tp.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jon, yes, i like Christines first edit too. i think that'll really work, if I can work out how to do it :)

Thanks Jon, yes, i like Christines first edit too. i think that'll really work, if I can work out how to do it :)

Looks to me like you need to immerse yourself in CS5 layers and selections. ;)

I've emailed you back the other file you asked me to help you with. Can I assume I can delete the raw of this one now as you no longer need my help with it?

Last edited:
Hi Tori
You could mask out the background and use fade it in hue/saturation, this saves a lot of precise cutting out

Blast - beaten to it...

exactly what I was thinking (sort of):

IMG_7194_edit.jpg

Created a duplicate in LR and knocked up the exposure by one stop to blow out the window but not lose it completely.

Into PS, two layers with the original on top.

Mask out the window to let the blown section through, and the healing brush applied to the three paint chips that stand out.

Far more subtle than a complete bg change, and it keep the rather nice detail of the wall panelling and seat.

It's a rough edit, but it shows can be done rather than lose everything.

Last edited:
I'm looking at some tutorials on youtube, hopefully I can work it out. Yes you can delete it no problem, thanks for your help Jon. As always I need it done yesterday :LOL:

Mark, that edit looks a bit drained in colour? No offence.. I just need to edit the background...

Keep in mind if you add a layer to adjust the saturation and lightness of the background you will still need to edit out the flash shadows, or they will still be evident in the final image. That's the only complication to Christine's idea compared to just replacing the whole background (see lower right side of man).

IMG_7194tp1.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, that edit looks a bit drained in colour? No offence.. I just need to edit the background...

None taken. If it's drained then that is in the original, because apart from the window I haven't altered the image.

Something to bear in mind when you get round to doing the edit then? :)

All I'm trying to point out is that just chopping the whole bg isn't always necessary. In fact when you have that much direct flash it is going to be very hard without making it look incredibly obvious.
Less is occasionally more!

Last edited:
None taken. If it's drained then that is in the original, because apart from the window I haven't altered the image.

It's not Mark. It's the TP image resize script doing the damage. Try saving your image at say 600px and upload it again - i bet it looks fine. ;)

Last edited:
Ahh ok, no problem, it's because I'm looking at the raw file, and my edit in LR. Thanks guys, i'm following this tutorial, and so far so good! I'll let you know how I get on. Hopefull Christine might post her method too :)

It's not Mark. It's the TP image resize script doing the damage. Try saving your image at say 600px and upload it again - i bet it looks fine. ;)

Drag both the images into separate tabs in your browser and you'll find that they look identical, apart from the obvious.

I don't have resizing switched on for that exact reason.

If you really want to do this I'd be inclined to keep it simple...

tor-edit by tonky8203, on Flickr

Hepburn's edit just brightened a little. It looks to be a casual shot though and the couple may just prefer the memory of the location. There's not really much wrong with the original beyond needing a bit of levels adjusting.

Hopefull Christine might post her method too :)

In CS5 just click Layer > New adjustment layer > Hue/Saturation...

Place the layer below the couple but above the background. Use the sliders to reduce the saturation and increase the lightness. Job done, easy!

Last edited:
Hi Tori
If you look at my second image it shows the different layers I used. The first edit had the "layer 1" visible with the hue/saturation layer above it instead of it being above the waterlily layer.

Rather than cutting out part of an image it is nearly always easier to use masks as you can paint back in anything you have deleted by accident. Masks and layers are the basics of using CS5 etc and you will find them invaluable once you have got the hang of them.

Ok, this is what I've managed. I've never worked with layers before (Always use LR) so this is my first attempt. I followed a tutorial that selected the background, then I used gaussian blur, lightened and sharpened a bit...and....

IMG_7194-Edit-2.jpg

:clap::clap::clap: I feel really clever now!! :LOL: I hope you like it? It's not too bad I think?

Thanks for the encouragement! :D

Good stuff.
Another fairly straightforward option is a graduated background. Masking as Christine has demonstrated but just filling a new layer at the back with a gradiant.

Untitled-130.jpg

That's good as well :) thanks. I'm not sure where to find the graduation thing yet. I'm working on it ;-)

That's good as well :) thanks. I'm not sure where to find the graduation thing yet. I'm working on it ;-)

I'll show you later, when I see you Tori - if time permits.

Last edited:
Back