Help importing into PS3

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
i recently bought a d700 and today i am uploading the first shots. they import onto the computer just fine, but when i try to open the NEF files in photoshop cs3, it keeps telling me "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

?????:help:??????
:bang:

4.0. i downloaded the latest version for cs3 and it still says im running 4.0

Do you need the update for the newer cameras from the website?
im not sure what it is you are asking, sorry im kinda new to this end of photography. :thinking:

that is where i downloaded it from. i clicked download now, save and its now on my desktop in a zip file. now what?

All the information is on that page on how to install it, copied from that page...

Manual installation on Windows®:

1. Exit Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Bridge.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Bridge

im at step 4 and am not finding "Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats ". what i have in program files->common files is.....

Apple
Microsoft shared
Services
Speech engines
Systems

i found adobe but went through a file called program files (x86). from there i went to cs3, then to plug ins, file formats and all i see in there is a bunch of 3 letter files ie) KMZ, OBJ, etc. lol, and now?

It's difficult to know as you haven't said what Operation System you have.
If it's 64 bit try
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

ok heres where i stand now.....
i did a search on my computer for ...."C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats".....

the search results came up "file formats".. so i clicked on that.
from there a new window opened up that has a file in it called "Camera_Raw_4_6.
i double click that and again, a new window. on the top it reads Camera_Raw_4_6.zip-WinRAR (evaluation copy)... and another smaller window pops up informing me that its not free software, only a 40day trial. i clicked close and (in the same Camera_Raw evaluation copy window) 2 sub files are in there, one is a folder with no name and the other is CameraRaw.8bi......
am i getting closer?

you need to put it in (x86 programe files/adaobe/adobe cs3/plugins folder(open it and place in here), and it will ask you to overight the other older versuion. job done.
the common folder i cant get to work and i have cs4 and 5 both 32/64bit and elements 7(23bit) and elements 10 and lightroom 3.6 64bit.

Last edited:
ok thats all done and still, is not the right kind of document.
ugh...

In the downloaded zip file, Camera Raw.8bi is the file you want, this file should replace the one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats folder
N.B. Make sure you move the existing file somewhere safe in case you need to revert for some reason.

ok thats all done and still, is not the right kind of document.
ugh...

wait, this just in....
when i open cs3 and check what version i am running, it shows up as the one i installed BUT.... i cant click and drag any raw images into cs3.

ive got it all up and running now, thanks for all the help! very much appreciated. thanks again!

Back