Beginner Help in selecting Lens.

Name
Eshan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I've been a (very) longtime lurker on this forum, reading and slowly gathering information and inspiration. I am by no means a pro photographer, just someone who likes to take pics leisurely, mainly of family, friends and kids. Now that I finally have a decent camera, I would like to concentrate/nurture my skills towards portrait photography.

My story is... recently I was gifted a Sony A7ii which came with the ZEISS 24-70mm f/4 Lens. From reading posts on various threads on here and on the web, the lens doesn't seem to have a good reputation and would like to know if it's worth keeping the lens or part exchanging for something else?

I have a friend who works in a camera store and can get a decent trade in value for the lens and has also offered me staff discount for a future purchase. I've read good things about the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and would like to know if this a step in the right direction or is the Sony lens not as bad as what I've been reading?

Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited:
My advice: Use the lens. Decide whether it it good enough for your requirements. Then if you decide it isn't, you'll know why it isn't, and you'll know what you're looking for in an upgrade.

A f2.8 lens will add the ability to use f2.8, obviously :D so there's that :D

But as I've just posted in another thread I'm often not a great fan of very thin depth of field people pictures so f2.8 or is f4 enough is something I'd think about. Other than that I'm usually not a great fan of razor sharp people pictures and usually prefer a "look" to a sharp picture so there's that to think about too and if one lens is sharper than another I might just not care :D

In your position Eshan, I think I'd start by Googling my way to some on line photographs taken with the lenses you're interested in and deciding if there was a look I preferred. That might be a good starting point but of course if you can get hold of a lens and give it a try that would be even better :D

Good luck choosing.

Last edited:
The first thing I do when looking at kit I don't have access to test, is to use the search field in Flickr for photographs taken with that item. Bodies, lenses, tubes, etc. I look at reviews too, but find real world examples much more helpful as an indicator.

Beyond that, it might be worth looking at hiring.... I believe StewartR does a good line in this. I would advise caution though, as while entirely satisfied with LFH services, hire tends to be followed by a purchase!:ROFLMAO:

As has been said, just use what you got until you aren't happy with what it produces.

Then you'll have more idea what you want from a lens and which type of lens to purchase.

My advice: Use the lens. Decide whether it it good enough for your requirements. Then if you decide it isn't, you'll know why it isn't, and you'll know what you're looking for in an upgrade.
I'd agree with Stewart - what don't you like about the lens?

For example, some copies have very poor edges, and I shoot landscapes where sharp edges are important. The Sony lens is wider than the Tamron, so would have an advantage in town.

Decided to go with the flow from here and will use the lens until an upgrade is needed.

Being relatively new all of this, was just going by reviews.

Decided to go with the flow from here and will use the lens until an upgrade is needed.

Internet reviews follow a bit of a hyperbole.
The 24-70/4 is a nice compact lens with an useful range.

The way things are is that there are always more negative than positive comments about anything on the web, not just photo stuff, because people who are unhappy complain and those who are satisfied just get on with it.

I have used the 24-70 f4 since moving over to Sony.
I've been quite happy with the results.
I'm awaiting the Sony 24-105 which should be arriving at the beginning of the week.
Time will tell if I've made the right decision :rolleyes:

Having seen all your threads I think you’ll benefit from an 85mm or possibly a 100 prime.

That's the way i'll be going.. My brother has some Canon lenses, will see if he has an 85mm or the 100mm. If so may look at purchasing the Sigma adapter.

Or just save and purchase a used 85mm Sony.

Back